Author Topic: Lettuce Nudibranch  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Jeff

• Goby
    • http://searles.clearwire.net
Lettuce Nudibranch
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:54:45 PM »
What do you guys know about lettuce nudibranchs? Are there any risks/downsides to having them in a tank?  I have some macro algae that is getting kindof obnoxious, so I was hoping to get rid of it with a lettuce nudi.  I have a firefish and peppermint shrimp currently, but I plan on getting a pair of clowns and a pair of neon gobies eventually.  Will they harm the nudibranch if I got one?
30 gallon, 192w PCs with softies, and 5 freshwater tanks; mostly african cichlids.

Offline tyler5g

• Damselfish
Lettuce Nudibranch
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 12:24:51 PM »
Probably won't have to worry, but in my experience nudi's don't last very long.  You would be better to go with some goldens or turbos, I think they will do a better job.
206 SPS tank, dual 400 MH, t-5 actinic, Ampmaster 3000 closed loop, Ampmaster2700 sump, custom sump/skimmer combo built by club member, various SPS, several LPS and assorted fish.

Offline Rico

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Tang
Lettuce Nudibranch
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:40:45 PM »
John is right, the nudibranchs do not usually last long.  And most of the time the lettuce species eat hair algae, not sure how they would do on macro.  I would just pull the macro like pulling weeds.

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
Lettuce Nudibranch
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »
I have to agree with Rick and John. I actually bought one and put it my tank....never to be seen again!
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
Lettuce Nudibranch
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 11:27:41 AM »
Colleen and I have had decent luck with the nudi's.  This was for hair algae though, and after that was gone, so were they.

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
Lettuce Nudibranch
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 02:54:56 PM »
My lettuce nudis seemed to be experts at going where they shouldn't.  They were always on the intakes and overflow screens.  They did seem to multiply for a while, since there were tiny ones about, but eventually they all met bad ends.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
Lettuce Nudibranch
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 05:13:12 PM »
My experience with them with them wasn't long lived either.  Pretty to look at but you won't see them very long.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!