Author Topic: very small shrimp  (Read 3318 times)

Offline dakota's dad

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Damselfish
very small shrimp
« on: October 18, 2006, 05:25:37 PM »
hi all,

i was looking at my little tank with a flash light about an hour or so after the lights went out last night. i found the usual pods and bristle worms but i also found what look like very small shrimp. i cant tell exactly. they move at a very very fast pace. 5-6 in./sec. when the light hits their eyes they light up. they cant be much more then 3/16". what might they be and are they good, bad, or indifferent  :?:

bristle worms and now this. i am thinking its time to tear down the tank and nuke the contents. just deal with the 75gal. tank for now.
Paul:75gal aga w/ 400 xm 10k, 175 xm 10k & 24" t8 actinic with fish, sps skeletons & a few shrooms. 20 gal w/fish,enemones, lps & softies

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
very small shrimp
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 11:25:25 AM »
It sounds like pods....which are good. There are all different types of them. The ones in my tank look like little shrimp too.
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
Re: very small shrimp
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 06:42:48 PM »
Hi Paul I too agree with Dashia on this I think you may have described a Amphipod please take a look at the pictures on this website and see if we are right ?? good luck...Jeff

http://www.oceanpods.com/faq.html#whatare

Quote from: "dakota's dad"
hi all,

i was looking at my little tank with a flash light about an hour or so after the lights went out last night. i found the usual pods and bristle worms but i also found what look like very small shrimp. i cant tell exactly. they move at a very very fast pace. 5-6 in./sec. when the light hits their eyes they light up. they cant be much more then 3/16". what might they be and are they good, bad, or indifferent  :?:

bristle worms and now this. i am thinking its time to tear down the tank and nuke the contents. just deal with the 75gal. tank for now.
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
very small shrimp
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 07:03:16 PM »
Amphipods are way bigger than copepods amd a lot more visible too.  They aren't as big as tripods though! :x
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
very small shrimp
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:33:34 PM »
they look similar but have a distinct T shaped tail and when i put a light on them their eyes light up like a bike reflector. i also have the little white dots with legs & silver rolly polly looking one that get up to almost 1/2" (no joke) :shock:  :shock:
Paul:75gal aga w/ 400 xm 10k, 175 xm 10k & 24" t8 actinic with fish, sps skeletons & a few shrooms. 20 gal w/fish,enemones, lps & softies

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
very small shrimp
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 01:01:49 PM »
Rolly polly are definitely Amphipods.  The really small dots with legs are a copepod variety.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
very small shrimp
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 04:55:06 PM »
ok angel but that dont explain what the shrimp looking ones are. :?   i would try to take a pic but they are to fast.

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
very small shrimp
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 09:01:39 AM »
Here is a picture of a smal and a pretty large amphipod.  Kind of look like shrimps.