Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 19, 2017, 04:29:17 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I've got Ich  (Read 10204 times)

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger

I've got Ich
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 07:57:34 pm »
Ich is in the water all the time but healthy fish have a slime coating that keeps it off of them.  In fresh water you can add a slime coat additive but not sure about SW?  I would use the vitamin C and garlic and it should clear up if they are eating.  Stress reduces the fish' ability to produce slime and increasing their succeptability to Ich.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger

I've got Ich
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 08:01:00 pm »
Quote from: "ShayD1"
I had an Ich outbreak from some new fish. Every morning I pressed a Garlic clove and added Nutrafin Marine Complete granuals to the Garlic pulp and fed that to my tank. WOW!! Within the first 12 hours there was a noticeable change on my fish. Today is day 5 of the Garlic treatment and I feel confident enough to stop but will keep a close eye on things. My fish are eating hartily and swiming around much more. Many thanks to Les for the diagnosis, and to Rick for the recipe.

Welcome to our little humble abode.  Keep coming back  :D
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline Les

• Damselfish
    • http://home.att.net/~hoveracre/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

I've got Ich
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 08:33:28 pm »
Angel,
Are you sure that ich is in the water all the time? I have stressed the @@##%% out of fish in the past and never had an outbreak. In Donna’s tank she has a yellow tang that she got from me and the stress of catching it and then putting it in her tank was a massive amount of stress. For a week or so, she didn’t have ich, then when the new Pearl Scale Butterfly fish was added the whole tank broke out in ich. (that yellow tang was bought in April of 2000 and never had a problem).
I know that I have read somewhere that all fish carry ich, I have also read that ich stays in the water all the time and fish only come down with it when stressed. I don’t believe it, based on my own observations.

Just thought I’d throw that out there, maybe get a reponse.  :D
400 Gal Reef/Fish custom built tank w/90 gal sump. Dolphin Ampmaster 4000, Dolphin Ampmaster 2100, Dolphin Aquasea 5200, Dolphin Ampmaster 7500, Five 400 MH 10,000 K bulbs with 2 VHO actinic

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger

I've got Ich
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 10:02:36 pm »
Not all fish are as prone to getting ich when stressed though.  All depends on water quality and fish health.  Taking a healthy fish from your tank and adding a not so healthy fish from a store are two different things my friend.  You should be proud that your fish was healthy enough to take the stress.  I think I read about ich being in the water from Anthony Calfo on Reef Frontiers or on Reef Doctor.  Thanks

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/

Parasite
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 11:25:40 pm »
So does this mean there is no way to entirely kill off this parasite in a controled Tank with UV?

Quote from: "angelscrx"
Ich is in the water all the time but healthy fish have a slime coating that keeps it off of them.  In fresh water you can add a slime coat additive but not sure about SW?  I would use the vitamin C and garlic and it should clear up if they are eating.  Stress reduces the fish' ability to produce slime and increasing their succeptability to Ich.
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang

do you have UV Les?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 11:27:55 pm »
Are you Running a UV lamp Les and or you have any other things to combat Ick? Like Golden neon's Gobies or Use Selcon/Garlic???

Quote from: "Les"
Angel,
Are you sure that ich is in the water all the time? I have stressed the @@##%% out of fish in the past and never had an outbreak. In Donna’s tank she has a yellow tang that she got from me and the stress of catching it and then putting it in her tank was a massive amount of stress. For a week or so, she didn’t have ich, then when the new Pearl Scale Butterfly fish was added the whole tank broke out in ich. (that yellow tang was bought in April of 2000 and never had a problem).
I know that I have read somewhere that all fish carry ich, I have also read that ich stays in the water all the time and fish only come down with it when stressed. I don’t believe it, based on my own observations.

Just thought I’d throw that out there, maybe get a reponse.  :D

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang

I belive this to be true
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005, 11:31:49 pm »
Angel I have seen what your saying on a limited Basis on my tank I have Introduced Leopard wrasses and they will stress very badly some times even die from being put in the tank. Another reason why they dicourage this fish. But will all of mine none of them has ever broken out with Ick . Even if i had Tangs or other fish  that did.

Quote from: "angelscrx"
Not all fish are as prone to getting ich when stressed though.  All depends on water quality and fish health.  Taking a healthy fish from your tank and adding a not so healthy fish from a store are two different things my friend.  You should be proud that your fish was healthy enough to take the stress.  I think I read about ich being in the water from Anthony Calfo on Reef Frontiers or on Reef Doctor.  Thanks

Offline Les

• Damselfish

Re: do you have UV Les?
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 06:45:54 am »
Quote from: "The Apprentice"
Are you Running a UV lamp Les and or you have any other things to combat Ick? Like Golden neon's Gobies or Use Selcon/Garlic???

I don't run anything but a protein skimmer, and that only part time.
400 Gal Reef/Fish custom built tank w/90 gal sump. Dolphin Ampmaster 4000, Dolphin Ampmaster 2100, Dolphin Aquasea 5200, Dolphin Ampmaster 7500, Five 400 MH 10,000 K bulbs with 2 VHO actinic

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang

Re: do you have UV Les?
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 03:49:17 pm »
Thanks Les how many fish do you have in your 175 tank?

Quote from: "The Apprentice"

I don't run anything but a protein skimmer, and that only part time.

Offline Les

• Damselfish

I've got Ich
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2005, 05:34:16 pm »
Well, let me first point out that I'm a very firm believer in "reduced bio-load". That being said, I currently have a 6+" Naso Tang, a 4-5" Powder Blue, a large Copper Band Butterfly, 6 small-med green reef Chromis, a Clarki clown med-lg, a 2" Manderian, a 1.5" Fire Spot Gobie and two of the sand sifter Gobies, also a 3-4" Green Wrasse. There is also assorted corals, both stony and softies. The entire tank is covered in Pulsing Xenia.
All this in a 175 seems a bit much after writing it out, I may have to part with something. :D

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger

I've got Ich
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2005, 06:34:59 pm »
Well, let me first point out that I'm a very firm believer in "reduced bio-load". That being said, I currently have a 6+" Naso Tang, a 4-5" Powder Blue, a large Copper Band Butterfly, 6 small-med green reef Chromis, a Clarki clown med-lg, a 2" Manderian, a 1.5" Fire Spot Gobie and two of the sand sifter Gobies, also a 3-4" Green Wrasse. There is also assorted corals, both stony and softies. The entire tank is covered in Pulsing Xenia.
All this in a 175 seems a bit much after writing it out, I may have to part with something. :D

Wow :shock: That is a lot but you are moving into a bigger tank huh?  Stocking up?  I am  :D

And Jeff again I say "not all fish are prone to ich when stressed."  :wink:

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!

I've got Ich
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 09:16:51 am »
Hey Jeff- did you ever get rid of the ich? If you did, how? Just by using the garlic and U/V? :?
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline Lucy

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby

I've got Ich
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 12:38:46 pm »
I came across this article and thought it was somewhat interesting (for a fairly non-fish person, that is).  Who knows whether or not the author knows what he is talking about, but he used big words and a lot of references.   :lol:

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html
Barbie

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!

I've got Ich
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2005, 01:16:43 pm »
Thanks Barbie. I am reading it.
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!

I've got Ich
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 03:29:02 pm »
So, if you have it on one fish....do you need to treat ALL your fish?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up