Author Topic: My Tank Update  (Read 30792 times)

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2006, 01:45:38 PM »
Nice I like it, thanks for sharing.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline dakota's dad

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2006, 05:25:22 PM »
angel,
heres a pic of the shrooms you gave me and some of the zoos les gave me. thanks guys there doing great
Paul:75gal aga w/ 400 xm 10k, 175 xm 10k & 24" t8 actinic with fish, sps skeletons & a few shrooms. 20 gal w/fish,enemones, lps & softies

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2006, 05:42:32 PM »
Ah, my little contribution to another reefer's tank.  :D   One of the things I loved about our club was that we have the opportunity to help grow and each others tanks.  I wish I could see your tank in person.  The zoos look real nice. Thanks
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2006, 03:52:45 PM »
Well since I added the sandbed my skimmer has been going nuts producing skimate.  I turned it up a bit and run it a little wetter too and that seems to really take out the nasties.  I noticed a slight increase in ammonia and nitrates so I figure I am having a mini cycle due to adding the sand.  I bought these new Nassarius snails and they are huge.  The shells are biggere than a quarter and the body have got to be almost two inches long.  Definitely not the dime sized ones I had in Washington.  They remind me of the movie Dawn of Dead when I feed them and they come crawling out of the sandbed.  Pretty cool thing to watch.

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2006, 12:53:03 PM »
ha all,
my new tank is up and going and has been for three almost four weeks. could it have already cycled? my nitrites are 0, my amonia is at 0, and my nitrate is at 10ppm. :? they all went much higher and have come back down to this in the last few days.
Paul:75gal aga w/ 400 xm 10k, 175 xm 10k & 24" t8 actinic with fish, sps skeletons & a few shrooms. 20 gal w/fish,enemones, lps & softies

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
My Tank Update
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2006, 03:09:52 PM »
Quote from: "dakota's dad"
ha all,
my new tank is up and going and has been for three almost four weeks. could it have already cycled? my nitrites are 0, my amonia is at 0, and my nitrate is at 10ppm. :? they all went much higher and have come back down to this in the last few days.

Sounds like a cycle to me.   :D   Keep an eye on it for a couple days more, if nothing goes back up, and the nitrate stays where it is or goes down more, you should be ready for snails and crabs!

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
My Tank Update
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2006, 03:45:54 PM »
ha all,

I would still wait the eight weeks.    You probably have one or two more hard spikes.
Ed :D
come over and see..:)

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2006, 05:32:50 PM »
i planned on adding some snails (there cheap) because the tank is really brown. if i loose them its not a big loss.

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2006, 05:41:30 PM »
is anybody putting together a reeftopia order any time soon?

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2006, 05:51:38 PM »
IMO, I'd wait a at least two more weeks and keep an eye on the nitrates.  Then, if they go down add snails.

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2006, 11:14:33 AM »
is anybody putting together a reeftopia order any time soon?

Actually, we need more snails too, so a Reeftopia order would be great.  If no one else wants to do it, I will.  However, I do have some scarlet-legged hermits that I've fished out of our tank and have in the quarantine tank for now - if you want some - that might help you out in the meantime.    I am also getting the emerald crabs out of there - IF we can catch them, which has proven difficult so far - anybody know of a 'crab trap'?  They are tormenting our fish.  Laying in wait at the openings of caves and grabbing at fins as the fish swim in and out and I'm ready to get them out of there if we can catch 'em!   But we do want to order some snails from Reeftopia  - the darn crabs have also decimated our snail population too.  (Oops, did I say that out loud - I meant to say we have some really cute, sweet little crabs if anybody wants 'em ... Have crabs, will trade for... ?? watcha got?? )
Vicki
"I always wanted to pretend to be a marine biologist" - George Costanza

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »
I am just setting up my tank so I dont have anything to trade but maybe I can order extra snails. I am interested in some emeralds and a few hermitcrabs. by the time an order gets put together i should be closer to six weeks or so.

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2006, 03:43:27 PM »
Strange, I have never heard of Emeralds grabbing fish fins!  I have seen them put their claws up to scare fish away but never actually hurt the fish.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
My Tank Update
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2006, 05:33:25 PM »
Quote from: "angelscrx"
Strange, I have never heard of Emeralds grabbing fish fins!  I have seen them put their claws up to scare fish away but never actually hurt the fish.

No...but I've seen the look-alikes do it.

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2006, 05:37:59 PM »
whats a look alike