Author Topic: Ph..New toys, how will they affect Ph  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Ph..New toys, how will they affect Ph
« on: March 09, 2005, 06:52:18 AM »
This month I have learned a little bit more about Ph.   I learned from someone that dosing Kalk with a Metering pump slowly will kill Briopsis if done properly without disturbing animals.   Finally using a Ph Meter for myself, I watched ph rise while lights are on (normal) and lower when lights were off(normal).   I knew one way to try to stabilize Ph was to have a Refugeum with lights running on a opposite photo period of  your Reef tank photo period.  Your PH changes due to gas exchange. The amount of   CO2 and Oxygen in your tank.   I  try to put a flag in peoples minds to remember  to keep your top of your tank open to let CO2 excape.    Did you know that corals desire a proper PH to consume feed, to grow,  and to become healthy?  

I wanted to do a Calcium reactor.   I volunteered to test a reactor from a friend.   But wait a minute, this reactor only runs for about 8 hours a day.  When do I turn it on I asked.   You want to turn it on a hour after my lights are on.  When do I want to turn it off I asked.   The manufacturer stated a hour before my lights go off.   That sounded pretty easy.  
The more I thought, What about my Ph lowering at night.   I was told to run a dosing pump with Kalk a hour  or so after my lights go out.   And when do I shut it off I asked.   I was told a hour before my lights go on.
I started thinking of adding additives and how many hours I was told to wait before testing.   So I use a Calcium reactor which can possibly lower PH during the Day.  The Kalk reactor which raises Ph during the night.  Maybe a controller for both of these is not such a bad idea.
Is using a Calcium reactor easier or harder than dosing?   I guess time will only tell.  I definitely will monitor my Ph more often.   I know that raising PH too fast can burn off your algae, shock your animals, kill your corals.   Here is a thought to put a flag in your head.  When Ph drops you can monitor your snails crawling up the glass from bottom quite often.  Do you think this has something to do with PH?   I do.
I hope your doing great!
Ed :D
come over and see..:)

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
I hope your doing great!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 10:10:57 AM »
When Ph drops you can monitor your snails crawling up the glass from bottom quite often. Do you think this has something to do with PH? I do.

Another thing that happens the same time your Ph is dropping Ed. Your lights have just shut off and your tank walls have all this new algae that has been growing all day  :D  And its supper time for them snails :wink:
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff