Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 07:14:17 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ugly lil' stars!!!  (Read 4361 times)

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!

ugly lil' stars!!!
« on: January 29, 2005, 08:04:43 am »
:twisted: I have bought some live rock from someone tearing down his tank and I brought home a little piece of it last night. In a matter of about 20 seconds I pulled off 5 of those icky lil starfish!!! Got home from the meeting last night and pulled off 6 more. Anyone have any suggestions? Rick told me about the Harlequin shrimp...but then I have to find temporary homes for my 2 good stars. I couldn't pass up the rock at .80 per pound....but am I going to have to kill it all to use it? And, if I do have to kill it all...what is the best way? I also have little tiny white wormy things on my glass and rock. They are tiny but I don't know if they are bad. :roll:
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 06:21:11 pm »
Unless you have stony corals I wouldn't worry about them too much right now.  I would keep on taking them out as you find them but I wouldn't try to kill you rock off because of them.  

Not sure about the worms would have to see a pic?  Brown flat worms are bad and they are shaped kind of rectangular.  I have seen some that were white almost clear but they die off pretty quick.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 06:31:15 pm »
Ok. They are kinda ugly.... Oh well. They aren't brown. Although....I did see a little something rectangular kinda floatin' around on one of my frags. :cry:  Hopefully, it was just a piece of poop!!! Are those brown ones itty bitty?
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 06:41:03 pm »
Not that small about 1-2 16ths of an inch.  More visible than copepods.  If anyone has a Harlequin and would be willing to tranfer it around to get fed really well let us know?  I have been thinking about getting one too.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 08:25:55 am »
I have two Harlequins.. :D    I watched them for hours last night after adding them to my tank.   I got them for 12.99 each.   If you want to rid your tank of star fish and do not mind feeding a starfish once a month, then you can get one too.   :D Ed
come over and see..:)

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 09:20:44 am »
Ed,   Are those the one's you showed me on the front of that catalog?  Way cool!!   Let's see some pics!!  (or did you mess up your camera settings again there, Ansel Adams?)  :lol:
Vicki
"I always wanted to pretend to be a marine biologist" - George Costanza

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 01:55:25 pm »
Yep, I have two of them.  Too Shay little rotten stars...meet Fido  :twisted:
come over and see..:)

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 09:56:58 am »
Ya know Ed, I think I about got mine whipped!!! I don't think I could actually buy starfish to feed them! That is sooooo mean. :cry:  Poor stars. Mean ole' shrimp! Nope, I will just pick them off as I see them. But, yesterday I only found 4 all day!!! So, I am sure they are almost HISTORY! :)

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 10:23:10 am »
Quote from: "luvnsalt"
.... That is sooooo mean. :cry:  Poor stars.

So, Luvnsalt - exactly what are you doing with them after you pick them out of your tank ???? :shock:  :lol:  :lol:
Vicki

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 06:32:00 pm »
Oh no....don't get me wrong! Those lil' bastar*! are gonners for sure! I am hoping slow painful deaths! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  ha die ha!!!

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 06:36:34 pm »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:    Yeah, that's what I figured!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Vicki

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger

ugly lil' stars!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 06:30:26 pm »
The stars that people feed harlequins are usually not reef safe.  And since the shrimps get to them pretty quickly it doesn't have time to hurt the tank.  If you want Ed, I can pick a whole bunch of Starfish out of my sump and give them to you for food?
Pages: [1]   Go Up