Author Topic: Bad High Calcium  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Zulreef

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Damselfish
Bad High Calcium
« on: January 12, 2005, 07:33:07 PM »
For Several months I tested my water for calcium and it was 500ppm up. I would change my water but the level was still 500ppm up. I was setting the level at 1.026 but it was too high in calcium. I changed the water everyday 5 gallons at a time without salt, slowly till I got the level to 440ppm and 1.023. Now I have had 2 acropora die. :(  :( . What do you think about this? Thanks the relapy. Zul
Hi, my name is Zul :-)
156 Gal. Custom Acrylic Tank w/ 40 Gal. Sump by Les
<"))))><><((((">  <"))))><><(((("> <"))))><><((((">

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 07:42:24 PM »
Zul,
  Did you add water to your sump or directly into tank?   Was the added water the same temperature?  I would see if Rick can test your calcium with his kit or someone else close by you.   Are you having Alk problems?
 :?:
come over and see..:)

Offline Zulreef

• Damselfish
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 07:55:48 PM »
Quote from: "Ed"
Zul,
  Did you add water to your sump or directly into tank?   Was the added water the same temperature?  I would see if Rick can test your calcium with his kit or someone else close by you.   Are you having Alk problems?

Ed,

I put the water in the sump. Yes, it was heated. The calcium and alkalinity are OK. The level are 440ppm and 3.20 meq/l or 9 dkh now. Is that OK?

Offline Ed

• Trigger
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 08:23:12 PM »
Quote from: "Zulreef"
Zul,

Ed,

I put the water in the sump. Yes, it was heated. The calcium and alkalinity are OK. The level are 440ppm and 3.20 meq/l or 9 dkh now. Is that OK?

Yep, that is perfect. :D

Offline Ed

• Trigger
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:25:12 PM »
Again,
Lets talk about husbandry...What type of corals do you have and what type of fish do you have with corals?

Offline Ed

• Trigger
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 08:40:48 PM »
If you watch your SPS when they feel threatened they will usually  slime.  If you have softies and they feel threatened they produce a defense also.  That defense is a release of a chemical that can slow growth or possibly kill SPS, it depends on what Softies you have...
I hope this helps,
Ed

Offline Zulreef

• Damselfish
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 09:18:17 PM »
Again,
Lets talk about husbandry...What type of corals do you have and what type of fish do you have with corals?

Ed,

What does husbandry mean?

List of coral

Offline Ed

• Trigger
Husbandtry means..
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 06:24:21 AM »
Animals that work well together...I remember you having a Kenya Tree and a large Toad stool.    I was assuming and I am probably wrong that the Toadstool or Kenya Tree were stressed when new water was added and released toxins in the water.    Corals are constantly fighting for territory.  They secrete their inerds at night and attack neighboring corals if other corals are too close.   SPS(short polyp stonies) just needs to be close to another coral(so allow about 6 inches in space for growth) to cause harm, LPS (Long Polyp Stonies)like SPS will sting with its sweepers or extenision of its polyps, Softies(leathers, Kenya trees, Zoos, Mushrooms, Gorgonians)  produce a chemical  when in defense mode that will stunt the growth of other SPS or LPS and possibly kill SPS or LPS with contact.   I hope this helps. :wink:
Ed

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 05:04:58 PM »
Husbandry:  (Webster's):  Careful, thrifty management (of affairs, resources etc).

Husbandry:  (Vicki's):  Convincing spouse of 30 years, through power of suggestion (or subtle manipulation/whining ... whatever it takes) to go from planning a 55 gallon reef in my office to a 120 gallon in breakfast nook (and HE offered to buy it for me too!)  Now that is what I call careful management! :wink:
Vicki
"I always wanted to pretend to be a marine biologist" - George Costanza

Offline Zulreef

• Damselfish
Re: Husbandtry means..
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 05:19:16 PM »
Animals that work well together...I remember you having a Kenya Tree and a large Toad stool.    I was assuming and I am probably wrong that the Toadstool or Kenya Tree were stressed when new water was added and released toxins in the water.    Corals are constantly fighting for territory.  They secrete their inerds at night and attack neighboring corals if other corals are too close.   SPS(short polyp stonies) just needs to be close to another coral(so allow about 6 inches in space for growth) to cause harm, LPS (Long Polyp Stonies)like SPS will sting with its sweepers or extenision of its polyps, Softies(leathers, Kenya trees, Zoos, Mushrooms, Gorgonians)  produce a chemical  when in defense mode that will stunt the growth of other SPS or LPS and possibly kill SPS or LPS with contact.   I hope this helps. :wink:
Ed

Ed, I have belt coral and red cupped toadstool, but no kenya tree. When we have the meeting this month we can decide then if everything fits together.Thanks  :)  :)

Yellotang

Bad High Calcium
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 06:56:50 PM »
Quote from: "VickiG"
Husbandry:  (Webster's):  Careful, thrifty management (of affairs, resources etc).

Husbandry:  (Vicki's):  Convincing spouse of 30 years, through power of suggestion (or subtle manipulation/whining ... whatever it takes) to go from planning a 55 gallon reef in my office to a 120 gallon in breakfast nook (and HE offered to buy it for me too!)  Now that is what I call careful management! :wink:

Dang you Women!!!!!!

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 07:18:27 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Vicki
"I always wanted to pretend to be a marine biologist" - George Costanza

Offline Ed

• Trigger
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 07:29:44 PM »
Zul (ZooMaster),
   It would be a pleasure.   We also have another things to discuss at club meeting.   Zul, I think you take excellent care of your tank.    I do not know that much but I look forward to seeing your tank and you.
 :D Ed

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
Bad High Calcium
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 09:19:28 PM »
Here is a great link to see if your Calcium and Alk are matching up.  If you are in the ball park numbers you should be ok.  

http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/index.htm?http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/caalkcalc.htm

Vicki that was funny, but what you (women) call husbandry we (men) call the FORCE.  Like it or not the force is more powerful :twisted:
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
hhhhmmmmm
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 12:09:48 AM »
HHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sounds fishy to me

Quote from: "VickiG"

150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff