Author Topic: High Iodide  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Zulreef

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Damselfish
High Iodide
« on: January 08, 2005, 10:13:52 PM »
I tested iodide and had a reading 0.02-0.03ppm, now it is 0.2ppm. How do I get the iodide level down?
Hi, my name is Zul :-)
156 Gal. Custom Acrylic Tank w/ 40 Gal. Sump by Les
<"))))><><((((">  <"))))><><(((("> <"))))><><((((">

Offline Rico

• Tang
High Iodide
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 11:31:51 PM »
Activated carbon will take it out of the water

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
Re: High Iodide
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 12:26:20 AM »
Zuls how are you testing for this and what promted you to test for this??I saw your post on RF and noticed your not adding any to your tank.
Does any of the members know what is a normal level and what is hi??

Quote from: "Zulreef"
I tested iodide and had a reading 0.02-0.03ppm, now it is 0.2ppm. How do I get the iodide level down?
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline Zulreef

• Damselfish
High Iodide
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 10:37:36 AM »
Quote from: "Rico"
Activated carbon will take it out of the water

Rick

Rick,

Do I need to change water to get the iodide down? I adding activated carbon 5 cups. Is enough that?

Offline Rico

• Tang
High Iodide
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 10:59:54 AM »
Changing water sure won't hurt and will help to dilute the Iodine.  I saw your post on Reeffrontiers and because of the sudden appearance of excess Iodine, I would really suspect the test kit.  Does your kit have a standard to validate reading against?

I have a Salifert kit and possibly a SeaChem kit you are welcome to use for comparison.

My personal experience with excess Iodine is that it will only cause a problem with the shrimp & crabs by making them molt excessively.  Iodine will also slowly dissapear in the tank over time.  It didn't sound like you added any Iodine, so if it is truely there, I would be more concerned as to where it came from.  I certainly would test a new batch of saltwater.  

For what it is worth, several years ago there was a lot of debate as to the best salt on the market.  Several people who are professors at Universities did full bio-analyisis of the different salt mixes and found that Instant Ocean was the most consistant (between batches) and more closely replicated true ocean water than any other mix.  Also if you print the Internet price from PetsMart and take it into the Store, you can buy 150 gal bucket for $31.00.

I should be home this afternoon (after 3pm) if you want to test your water.

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline Zulreef

• Damselfish
High Iodide
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 11:14:43 AM »
Quote from: "Rico"
Changing water sure won't hurt and will help to dilute the Iodine.  I saw your post on Reeffrontiers and because of the sudden appearance of excess Iodine, I would really suspect the test kit.  Does your kit have a standard to validate reading against?

I have a Salifert kit and possibly a SeaChem kit you are welcome to use for comparison.

My personal experience with excess Iodine is that it will only cause a problem with the shrimp & crabs by making them molt excessively.  Iodine will also slowly dissapear in the tank over time.  It didn't sound like you added any Iodine, so if it is truely there, I would be more concerned as to where it came from.  I certainly would test a new batch of saltwater.  

For what it is worth, several years ago there was a lot of debate as to the best salt on the market.  Several people who are professors at Universities did full bio-analyisis of the different salt mixes and found that Instant Ocean was the most consistant (between batches) and more closely replicated true ocean water than any other mix.  Also if you print the Internet price from PetsMart and take it into the Store, you can buy 150 gal bucket for $31.00.

I should be home this afternoon (after 3pm) if you want to test your water.

Rick

Rick, I am playing volleyball this noon. Maybe I can bring water to test over tonight  or some night this week. Phil will call before we come over.