Author Topic: Will a 50% water change cause the aquarium to cycle  (Read 1793 times)

Offline reefjosh

• Goby
Will a 50% water change cause the aquarium to cycle
« on: December 31, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »
Will a 50 % water change cause a reef tank to cycle with ammonia/nitrate/nitrate spikes for a few months? Yesterday we just purchased an established 135 gallon reef tank with a sump and were only able to save half of the water but it is almost full of live rock that is at least 6 years old. It had no substrate on the bottom (no sand or crushed coral) and so I purchased live sand for it. It took all night but it is all up and running but I am left wondering if it is going to cycle on us or what lies ahead. We had a 90 gallon reef that we took down today so that we could move everything into the larger tank.  A second question we have is how to help the giant 7" Foxface that is stressed from the move. It is obsessed on looking at his reflection (he must think it is another fish instead of his reflection) and won't eat. It has been about about 30 hours since he was put in the tank after we moved the tank to our house.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:14:09 PM by reefjosh »
135 gallon 6 foot reef tank packed with some amazing fish and coral and a red sea max 250 in the works and a little 30 gallon clam tank just for the heck of it.

Offline fraggy

• Goby
Re: Will a 50% water change cause the aquarium to cycle
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 05:48:38 PM »
If you moved the live rock from a tank that was already cycled, it should be ok assuming you kept it in water and reasonably warm.  You do not need live sand in that case.  I would not do a heavy fish load for a month and I would check your water at least weekly.  There should be not ammonia or nitrites.  As for the fox face,  I would give it at least a week to settle in.  They are primarily vegetarian and should start eating algae off the rock.  If you feed it to much, the uneaten food could case you future problems.  I am assume that the specific gravity and temperature is within a reasonable range.  Patience is probably the best way forward.  Do you have more than one fish in it?

Offline reefjosh

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »
Yes, all the live rock is at least 5 years old and it was kept in water and warm with a powerhead while we moved everything. We have about 18 fish with 3 being big (sailfin tang, blue hippo and foxface rabbit fish) and the rest small. The Foxface finally ate for the first time tonight. I will do weekly water tests to follow your advice to check for spikes in ammonia or nitrates. Hopefully the phosban reactor, carbon reactor, protein skimmer and live rock will help keep things from getting out of control but I'll check it weekly to watch it closely.  The temperature is 78 degrees and the salinity is 1.022 so hopefully those are good numbers.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:54:50 PM by reefjosh »
135 gallon 6 foot reef tank packed with some amazing fish and coral and a red sea max 250 in the works and a little 30 gallon clam tank just for the heck of it.

Offline fraggy

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »
You have a good start.  Glad to hear your foxface is eating.  I doubt that you will see a spike.  If you don't for over a month, you should be able to add more.  Happy New Year