Author Topic: My little 25...  (Read 3229 times)

Offline jrhasty

• Goby
My little 25...
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »
I have a mixed reef in my 25.  From week to week the health changes!  One week my few sps are doing very well the next not so good!  I test my water everything looks great but my corals say different.  I was wondering if anyone would be willing to come check out my reef and maybe give a little advice.  Maybe I am just doing something very wrong!!

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Re: My little 25...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 08:24:29 AM »
I am asking you to check salinity first.
I would  then check temperature. 
When you do water changes in a small tank- it does not take much to swing temps.   Match the temps and make sure your water has been mixed well or oxygenated with a powerhead so the PH is 8.0-8.4 usually.    I use IO and mix it at least 24 hours with large powerhead. 

Temps and PH are two most common killers of fish and invertebrates.   Your PH will not work in your favor if you salinity is off. 
best wishes!
Ed :)
come over and see..:)

Offline reefbegood

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:51:27 AM »
First thing i would do is run fresh carbon threw the system in case of metal or other chemicals.
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.

Offline krazyk

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »
Hi jrhasty,

I dont have much experience but have almost constantly being reading about things for this year. even I have a 30 gallon since alst 1 year first 6 months were same up and down with coral. Even thought of going without coral and fish only. Gave back some collected corals. But since then I did 2 things and things have been slowly looking good.

One I increased the flow. put in 2 Maxijet 1200 hidden behind rock one in each corner at bottom (1 on all the time 2nd on-off with a cheap timer multiple times a day) and 2 koralia 425 GPH each (on all time close to surface). (ofcourse barebottom otherwise sandstorm) and put in an auto top system. Since then things have stabilized a lot. Hair algae is almost gone and corals have survived and growing slowly. have frogspwn, hammer, duncan, ricordea, zoa and green toadstol. I do 5 gallon change every 2 weeks. reefcrystal salt.

I agree with someone else that salinity and temp can have big changes in this small systems. Now my salinity is almost constant,  temp was better anyways. I bad thing I only check for nitrates but assume that my salt will take care of dKH and calcium. My load anyways is too low.

from reading allover forums, the most imp thing for reef,  "i inferred" is very good flow, good lights and for nano systems water changes as the cheapest solutions. with or w/o skimmer.

Again i am newbee but was going through problems like this and hope this might help.

Hang in there, thing will get better and u will be able to enjoy it more.

Ketan.

Offline jrhasty

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
Thank you to everyone!!  I think I found out what happened!!  I have made two trips out of town this month.  I had my friend come top off my tank and feed fish for me while I was gone.  Come to find out he was not using my rodi water to top off!!  He was using Tap water city of west Richland water!!!  I am in need of some water changes!!  I will be buying some salt since I am out anyway and start doing a few changes this weekend and next week!!  Grant did you say carbon would help if their was metal in the water?  Would that also help with city water in my tank?!?!

Offline reefbegood

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:32:56 PM »
Yes it absorbers almost everything , think of it like a sponge.
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!

Offline reefbegood

• Goby
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:34:44 PM »
Carbon might turn into a bio filter in just a few weeks so watch out, they are good till they crash.