Author Topic: What is my problem?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline MrsBode

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
What is my problem?
« on: April 06, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
I have been having issues getting the salt to suspend when mixing my saltwater.  I have tried using an air pump, and a powerhead (separately), to no avail.  Any tips?

Sol2reef

Re: What is my problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:34:32 PM »
The question doesn't really make sense. What u mean suspend?  Hard time mixing or what?

Offline MrsBode

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
I fill my bucket with water, I wait a few days for it to dechlorinate, sometimes I add prime, I put in the required amount of salt, I stir the bucket, and I add the powerhead.  When I come back, my specific gravity is low, and most of my salt is sitting in the bottom of the bucket.  When I stir it, the water turns white, but when I quit stirring, even when I add the powerhead, the salt comes back out of the water.

Sol2reef

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
I fill my bucket with water, I wait a few days for it to dechlorinate, sometimes I add prime, I put in the required amount of salt, I stir the bucket, and I add the powerhead.  When I come back, my specific gravity is low, and most of my salt is sitting in the bottom of the bucket.  When I stir it, the water turns white, but when I quit stirring, even when I add the powerhead, the salt comes back out of the water.
That is very weird! I have never encountered this problem.  My salt usually dissolves in seconds.  Try mixing by hand withought waiting for ur dechlorination process.  Or aim ur Powerhead straight at the salt for a few minutes.  Salt shoul dissolve instantly.  What kind of salt are u using? Maybe it expired? And temperature helps.  Salt dissolves faster in warmer water.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »
hello C,
    I use a large powerhead- or pump- Mag 5, 7, 9  for mixing my salt in a large brute (rubbermaid) trash can.     I usually let it mix for at least 24 hours with top off to let gas exhange.  You will sometimes get debries from mining/packaging  processes of salt manufacturers.   Add water to container, like someone said bring temperature up to 75 degrees or so with heater, my larger mag pumps usually bring temperatures up, let water mix over night.  Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals usually will be disolved within 4 hours.  Just like our additives we need at least four hours of mixing before testing.  best wishes always.  :)
come over and see..:)