Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 20, 2017, 06:14:29 pm
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi getting ready to setup my tank again!!  (Read 3827 times)

Offline jrhasty

• Goby

Hi getting ready to setup my tank again!!
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:20:23 am »
So 2 years ago i moved to the try cities and had to leave my 90 gal corner tank with my mother in law..  We are in a place where we can set up our tank again but i know nothing about the water quality here.  I herd a roomer that people were using boxed bought water.  I always mixed my own water back home on the west side.  Anyone have any tips oh what i should do water wise here??  I have all the equipment i need for my setup i think i am going to start it all over though because my mother in law pretty much killed everything in my tank!  Their is really bad algae growing in it now and lots of i think flat worms.  This is what she tells me any way..  I am just looking for tips i guess on what i should do!!  Any help would be awesome!!

Offline reefbegood

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby

Re: Hi getting ready to setup my tank again!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »
Hello!  I have heard that the tap water is vary hard in this area, thus not the best for reefs. If you have a rodi unit you should have no need for boxed water. If you don't have a rodi, i would highly recommend getting one.
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.

Offline jrhasty

• Goby

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:19:47 pm »
I do not have a rodi but i will be investing in one soon!!  I was wondering if that would work the pet store here in town told me no you should just buy the water from us!!

Offline reefbegood

• Goby

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:33:53 pm »
For a nano yes, for a 90g no. it would be much cheaper and easier to buy a rodi unit. here is a good store, but there are many other places to buy them from.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.

Offline jrhasty

• Goby

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 04:52:09 pm »
I have been looking into rodi units and think i have found one i would to get!!  It has a reserve tank and has a spicket for filtered drinking water also!!  That would be nice 100gpd.Dose anyone have a unit that dose that also??

Offline jrhasty

• Goby

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »
LOL sorry i forgot to spell check!!

Sol2reef

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:26:31 pm »
I have been looking into rodi units and think i have found one i would to get!!  It has a reserve tank and has a spicket for filtered drinking water also!!  That would be nice 100gpd.Dose anyone have a unit that dose that also??
I think most people dont invest in RO/DI units with a bunch of gadgets cause they can be costly.  I personally think the 5 stage plus from Bulk Reef Supply is the best unit out there especially the price!  $200 for a 5 stage w/ gauge for pressure and tds meter and a good 75gpd!  Beat that!

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 04:44:17 pm »
I think most people dont invest in RO/DI units with a bunch of gadgets cause they can be costly.  I personally think the 5 stage plus from Bulk Reef Supply is the best unit out there especially the price!  $200 for a 5 stage w/ gauge for pressure and tds meter and a good 75gpd!  Beat that!

Definitely agree, very similar set-up to the 4-stage I use on our 270, but paid substantially more back about 5 years ago (before the days of bulk reef).  A good investiment to go along with the RO/DI is a booster pump if you don't have great water pressure.  When I lived in Kennewick, I used one, now in Horn Rapids I get 50 psi from the line pressure and haven't bothered to replace it since it started leaking.  Booster was only taking it up to 65 psi, so not a lot of difference.  Higher pressure will allow the RO section to reject more completely than at low pressure.

Sol2reef

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:51:34 pm »
That's weird I live in Kennewick and I'm hittin 65 right out of the faucet!  But these are apts so that could be it too.

Offline Daniel

• Goby

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »
I'm in Benton City and hitting about 70 at the tap.

Sol2reef

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 05:58:39 pm »
I'm in Benton City and hitting about 70 at the tap.
Wow very nice pressure!
Pages: [1]   Go Up