Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 07:23:28 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: AI Sol LEDs  (Read 5357 times)

Sol2reef

AI Sol LEDs
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:16:23 pm »
Finally my AI Sols came in today.  Got them set up and programmed.  I don't have a hang kit or tall canopy for them so their kinda like right on top of my tank and spotlight a bit.  My wife wont let me get new lights so i kinda snuck these in and covered them with my shallow canopy.  Good thing she doesn't get my hobby cause she hasn't even noticed lol.  But i have them at 30% only so that could be it.  Gotta tell you though THEIR BRIGHT!!!  I'm new to the hobby so this is gonna be like an experiment for me.  My old lights were T5s

First Pic is old lights
Second and Third new

Offline Daniel

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby

Re: AI Sol LEDs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:14:38 am »
Just my two cents i would back them down to 20% for a week and then bring them up 10% a week and maybe stop around 70 since they are close to the tank

Sol2reef

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:10:50 am »
Your calcium is too low Dan

Sol2reef

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:37 am »
Just my two cents i would back them down to 20% for a week and then bring them up 10% a week and maybe stop around 70 since they are close to the tank
I played with the color and at 20 it's a little dark I think. I will try 25

Offline Daniel

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:07:36 pm »
I'm not running anything that needs cal the tank is still cycling but thanks for noticing.

Sol2reef

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »
I'm not running anything that needs cal the tank is still cycling but thanks for noticing.
Oh ok good to know!  So I tuned them to 25% and they still seem a little dim almost like me old T5.  I also moved all my corals down and out of the way of the direct 40* optics.  So I think I should be good.  I'm going to be watching the corals for bleaching but I'm confident it's good light.  I can already c my one and only SPS seems to like the light cause he is getting much longer polyp extension.  Time will tell.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 07:25:09 pm »
where did you buy your AI Sols and how do you like them so far?
come over and see..:)

Sol2reef

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
where did you buy your AI Sols and how do you like them so far?
I was surfing RC and some guys were talking about them and one of them said he had a 3 white ones in storage cause he switched to the blues.  And I chimed in and jumped on an intense deal!  Of course they r used supposedly close to a yr so that's why the price drop but they seem to be working ideal!  Can't tell u much from experience cause I'm new but I will say they blow my T5 fixture out of the water!  I only have two bulbs which is intensely weak but at 30% they r still noticeably brighter at 100% it's night and day.  But ofcourse their PAR is insane.  I really really love the control of them.  Any color any time of day.  And sick storm lightning.  They make the reef look more real more natural.  Love them so far

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 06:43:00 am »
A friend of mine swears by them.  He says he can find them for around 200 dollars often and claims they are the best for the money.  :)

Sol2reef

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:25:45 am »
A friend of mine swears by them.  He says he can find them for around 200 dollars often and claims they are the best for the money.  :)
I personally think their the best out there.  They have incredible par and modular.  Getting them for $200 I don't think so unless their really really used. They retail for $400 and just had a price drop from $500 since the announcement of the new AI Vega coming out.  And LEDs are fairly new to reefs setups so they don't go down in price.  So I don't believe he can get them $200 unless like I said earlier their really used.

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:51:12 am »
no, people just have money and want to go to new models.    :)

Here are some examples. 
http://reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7519195
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:57:53 am by Ed »

Sol2reef

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 11:26:33 am »
no, people just have money and want to go to new models.    :)

Here are some examples. 
http://reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7519195
Link doesn't work

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 05:57:55 am »
sorry, its Reef Central.   You go to forums of used equipment and do a search of AI or Aqua Illuminations.   It showed how much they are going for.   I have Friends in Seattle that are saying they can get them in the two hundred range.  It is hear say.  But searching the forums like PSA and Reef Frontiers it has happened.   But RC showed them averaging 300 dollar range or more.   Overall I am hearing good reports from AI and Maxspect.

best wishes
Ed :)

Offline jrhasty

• Goby

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 02:36:57 pm »
I am setting up my tank Sunday I am getting the ai sol nano I am so excited!!  We are not getting the controller yet about a month down the road!  How are you likening them?!?!

Offline fraggy

• Goby

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 07:57:56 am »
I have them and absolutely love them.  If you can find some for $200, please let me know since I would take them.  I did have one power supply fail, but AI was really good about replacing it.  Are they the best?  Who knows.  But, I like them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up