Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 07:12:31 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new roommates? Oh, Tankmates sorry:)  (Read 2409 times)

Offline lexilynn

• Goby
  • New to the reef, but loving the swim!!!

new roommates? Oh, Tankmates sorry:)
« on: February 18, 2012, 08:03:18 pm »
So I might be fish sitting for an old Army buddy while shes deployed (14 months). My tank is now a 20gal long with small corals, 1 A. percula clown, and a Seabae if it makes it? Still on the fence about it's survival.
They are coming from two nano edge tanks to live in mine.  Can I put them together and not have a problem?
The fish are:
1 Green Mandarin Dragonet
1 Strawberry Dotty-back ( I have it now)
1 Neon Goby
Been researching before I say yes if they would get along or need to be seperated. But cant find a great sorce one way or the other.

Any Ideas?
20gal long, 4 T5 18W lights 4 moon, Lots of Rock, Crushed coral 1 clown and 1 strawberry dotty.

Sol2reef

Re: new roommates? Oh, Tankmates sorry:)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:07 pm »
I would say almost any fish of equal size will live together.  Especially non aggressive ones.  If anything just watch em' for a while and see.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:47:27 pm »
Mandarin eating prepared foods?

They are usually a Pod eater and sometimes only pods. 
come over and see..:)

Offline lexilynn

• Goby

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 02:54:11 am »
Asked about Greenies diet and she has been buying bottles of cope-pods every two/three weeks to feed him. Feeds/doses three times a weeks on guesses if it's needed.  She got it thinking of adding a sump/refug to enlarge the system, but deployment orders came down and off she goes soon. Their up in Ft. Lewis( old stomping ground) so I can't even get a good look to see how hes doing.

I don't think I have a huge amount of rock in the tank.  Not sure I can get pods locally even if i have to drive over to Tri-C to find them? I do have a newer Nature's Ocean Coral Substrate with sandy patches, so not confident about pod population levels to feed him.

Could I or should I take him in my tank?

Does Seabae look salvageable, I think its eating small bits, getting a little green/brown color back foot looks ok and not up and moving around the tank.
20gal long, 4 T5 18W lights 4 moon, Lots of Rock, Crushed coral 1 clown and 1 strawberry dotty.

Sol2reef

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:46:57 am »
Ya I would say Mandarin diet is practically pods.  And they need a lot! I mean u can imagine the size of the pods compared to the fish.  Unless u have a thriving fuge  Hyundai pods is the only way to have enough for them.

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 10:00:47 am »
Lexi,
     The easiest way to get a pod population is to buy Macroalgae from someone  that has a pod population.    Maybe post on here and see if anyone is getting rid of Macroalgae.    You also want to ask person selling or giving you pods if they have any unwanted pest in their algae like planaria(flat worms), adiptasia, etc.

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:48:11 am »
Lexi,
    The president of Spokane club gave you a heads up!  :) Thx Joanne.  Here is a source for buying larger pods in bulk.

http://www.reefs2go.com/results.cgis?catalog=DEFAULT&keywords=copeopods&x=13&y=16

Offline lexilynn

• Goby

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:39:30 pm »
I forgot about them. Thank you so much. I worked down the street from them in Clearwater FL. The Office would get supplies from them for their tanks.

I am worried about cross-country shipping during winter though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:51:23 pm by lexilynn »

Offline lexilynn

• Goby

new roommates? Oh, Tankmates sorry:)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 05:09:57 pm »
Well, I think I am going to take the Neon Goby and Dottyback.  If I can get pods on a regular basis and friend pays for them then i will take the Green Mand.

For the Seabae That I got, new experience here... I was not sure it was doing well, all shriveled and closed-up. So I SNIFFED IT!!! Smells good to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up