Author Topic: Pickling Lime  (Read 2639 times)

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
Pickling Lime
« on: June 28, 2004, 10:35:41 PM »
So, despite much discouragement and loss of life, it appears that my tank is starting to come back from the dead.  I may even stick with this hobby after all.  Mostly I think it was my wife's enthusiasm that kept me from ditching the tank.  It's amazing how much interest a saltwater tank can engender in random visitors to the house, even when there's not much in it!

So now my alkalinity, calcium, and PH are a bit low, despite recent water changes and I thought I'd go back to dripping limewater -- but I can't find a source of this stuff in the area (besides the insanely-priced stuff at the LFS).  Anybody know where I can find pickling lime?

Thanks.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Pickling Lime
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 09:04:37 AM »
PSA,
   There was a thread on a deal of it a while back.    You may ask fellow members if they have extra Balls Pickeling Lime.    Its good to see you back.   Sometimes people can spare a can of it.     :wink:
come over and see..:)

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
Pickling Lime
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 12:23:06 PM »
Thanks, Ed.  I wouldn't have any problems reimbursing someone either...

This big gathering you're planning sounds pretty exciting.  Now that I've actually got a tank running again I had planned to come to the next meeting and actually meet everyone--is there going to be another meeting before the big todo in August?

I'm also looking for a bit of basic equipment, mostly pc lighting for the refugium and to upgrade my main tank, so if anyone's looking to sell some extra equipment. . .  Oh, and I had another pump go out on me so I guess I'm needing a couple of those too.  Nothing real big since I favor redundant returns over hefty single pumps.  I'm also trying to better seed the 'fuge.

I also still own a house in Port Orchard, so I'm up in that area every couple weeks, if anyone needed something transported either way, but I can't really get over to Spokane, where I see you guys always talking about visiting various suppliers.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
Pickling Lime
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 12:39:33 PM »
I have a can sitting on top of my Freezer.     I live in Kennewick.   Thanks for the positive note on the Large meeting in August.  :)

yes, there is a Meeting in July scheduled to take place in Kennewick/Finly area.    Les Peterson will be hosting a meeting.  Les has a custom built 175 gallon acrylic tank.  Its a tank you surely do not want to miss.    I believe it is the 24th of July.

Look forward to meeting you,
Ed :)

Yellotang

Pickling Lime
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 02:08:09 PM »
PSA, make sure that I have your email addy. I can send you the list with stuff that is being sold by other members. one thing is PC lighting.

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
Pickling Lime
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 02:49:06 PM »
PM with email sent to Yellotang.  I think Ed already has my email address.
Thanks for your help.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
Pickling Lime
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 10:45:11 AM »
PSA,
   I recently had work done on my computer.   I lost your email address.  I am sorry.   If you give it to Matt.   I am pretty sure I will get it.
If you want the stuff I have on top of my Freezer give me a email.
I will try to work with ya.  I think it cost what less than 2 dollars a can.
I have at least a half a can.    I am not worried about it.   I have not used it for a long time.  
talk to you later
Ed