Author Topic: Changing my live rock  (Read 2472 times)

Offline lexilynn

• Goby
  • New to the reef, but loving the swim!!!
Changing my live rock
« on: November 04, 2011, 01:18:42 AM »
I would like advice on how i might get some of the corals and clam-like things off my current rock to move to new rock.
I was given about 50lbs of live rock from the LFS. I have 30 lbs curing in a separate tank right now in hopes to re-scape and move my tank from a 10gal to 15gal tank i built. The new stuff is better looking/stackable and will give more options for growth.

I just don't want to lose some of the cooler stuff i have grown and not moving older rocks.

I could end up with:  ONE TANK, TWO TANK, BLACK INK$, RED INK$    syndrome soon.
Thanks Lexi
20gal long, 4 T5 18W lights 4 moon, Lots of Rock, Crushed coral 1 clown and 1 strawberry dotty.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Re: Changing my live rock
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 04:54:04 AM »
Lexi,
    If you can keep water temps stable and flow around rock and do 25% water changes weekly water same temp and same salinity.   You should have no problems.    Please remember to mix your saltwater in a seperate container with powerhead for at least 24  hours before addition.    I have spare buckets if you need.

You are welcome to stop by if you like.
Best wishes!
Ed  :)
Kennewick
come over and see..:)

Offline lexilynn

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:14:24 PM »
ED, your great:)

OK, so I am on the right track on the transition part. Thanks. I have several buckets, salt, RO/DI and test kits to make sure all levels are safe; ie... cured/cycled, salinity, ph and temps.

Is there a way to remove the corals from my current rock when i am ready and place it on the new rock? some are very small/young. The clam thing (not really a clam though) looks rooted to the rock.
Would treating them like fragging work with small coral?

I am thinking of connecting the two tanks with pumps and then moving everything a week after that.  I would take water out to place in the sand around the rock that will be in the 15gal then refill with the removed water and move fish, corals and the remaining filters and lights to the new tank.
This sound like a good idea or you know of a better way?
20gal long, 4 T5 18W lights 4 moon, Lots of Rock, Crushed coral 1 clown and 1 strawberry dotty.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
feel free to pm me and then you can call me at home.
 :) Ed

Offline lexilynn

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:25:13 AM »
feel free to pm me and then you can call me at home.
 :) Ed

If I didn't work nights for 12 hours a day calling would not be a problem unless you'd take a call at lunch (3:30 am) then I would love to pick your wealth of knowledge.

I think I find out the names or close types of the three corals i really wanted to save they are SPS:
 1 Montipora* finger/bumpy type
 2 A smooth Acropora looking group
 3 A fleshy smooth pink mat. I know its not Coraline algae but looks like a large squishy patch of it.
they are no more the 1/3 or 1/4 inch in size.

They all came on a rock I was given that had been from a private tank before returning to petco then on to me. They moved to two of the larger rocks closer to the surface.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:04:38 AM »
Lexi,
    I pmed you.   

If you want Acropora.

I would recommend running filtered water- RO or RO/DI.    You want to mix your water externalling.    I recommend at least 24 hours in a seperate container.   You want to match the salinity as designed by manufacturer.  Its usually 1.025-1.026.   You want to keep temps about 77 degrees and below 84 degrees with very little swing if possible.   Flow around but not direct or if direct make sure it is not constant.    Flow keeps things suspended and also allows food to get to corals.    You will need light.  You have t5 which is fine.   A good indicator of lights being needed to be switched is your coral not growing.  When and if you do switch lighting start with short photo period and let is work its way back to normal routine or normal photo period.   When ever you purchase a coral learn what type of flow, location, and type of lighting used, I should say Which Kelvin and wattage of bulbs in there.   Feel free to ask questions.  Please remember that Change to fast in lighting, flow, temps, PH are the most common killers of Acropora.    You also want to dip corals before introducing them into your system or make sure you  have a quarantine system to inspect them before introduction.   Best wishes, look forward to meeting  you!  Ed :)