Author Topic: New Reefer with an LFS question  (Read 2656 times)

Offline halcyonism

• Goby
New Reefer with an LFS question
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:16:26 AM »
Good morning, all.

First of all, I should probably introduce myself as this is my first post on the site.  My name is Brian and I currently reside in the Yakima area.  I am new to reefing and am getting ready to start the stocking process of my 120 which has been up and running for a little over three months now.  Currently the only inhabitants in the tank are snails, hermits and some GSP.

As you may know, Yakima has only has two options when it comes to purchasing marine life locally; one LFS and a Petco.  The LFS rarely receives marine shipments and the Petco is, well... Petco.  This in turn leads me to my comment / question.  A couple weeks ago my wife and I made a trip down your way and visited Aqua Tropics and were slightly disappointed in their stock.  Is this typical for the store or did we just catch them on a bad day?  Any recommendations on where to purchase livestock semi-locally?  I realize there is always the option of ordering from online retailers, but I would much rather support local business if possible... and not have to pay $40 in shipping.  ;)

Lastly, posts are always better with pictures, so I will leave with a gratuitous shot of my empty tank.

Thanks for your time,

Brian

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Re: New Reefer with an LFS question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »
Hello Brian,
    Welcome.   I like the LEDs.    You also have your rock stacked really good for flow.   A few caves for fish to hide.

Your best best is to learn when they get shipments in from LFS.   Sometimes stores are picked clean pretty quick.   

come over and see..:)

Offline jerryB

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
Hello Brian,

Aqua Tropics receives shipment typically on Tuesday, so Tuesday evening is your best bet. I know Mike is also receptive to ordering specific livestock for you if it is available.

Jerry

Offline halcyonism

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »
Ed, thank you for the welcome and kind words.

Jerry, thanks for the information on when they receive their stock.  Looks like I may have to make a trip down after work some evening.

Offline abushr

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:16:47 PM »
Aqua Tropics gets live stock orders once a week (Tues.), & they usually go pretty quick so you have to get there pretty quick if you want much selection. 

If you travel to the Spokane area a great LFS to check out is:
Aquatic Dreams (4055 W. Riverbend Ave.  Post Falls Idaho)  +++great place for corals!!!
Aquarium Solutions (www.aquariumsolutions.org  9516 E. Montgomery Ave Suite 18  Spokane Valley, Wa). 

If you are in the Seattle area....some spots I've checked out and liked are:
Red Sea Aquarium (17716 15th Ave NE Seattle)
Barrier Reef (1717 NE 44th Street Suite A  Renton Wa)
Indoor Reef (3841 6th Ave Tacoma WA)
QT Aquarium (509 S. Jackson St.  Seattle WA) 

I have some spots in Portland that have been recommended, but I havn't had a chance to check them out yet...
Upscales
Salt Water Fanta-Seas
Sea-Horse
Rose City
Ocian in a box

Offline halcyonism

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »
I have actually been to Aquatic Dreams; great guy and great store!  That is actually where I picked up my GSP.

I would strongly recommend visiting Salt Water Fanta-Seas if you have a chance; another great store and owner.  Easily double the size of Aquatic Dreams.

Thanks for the tips on the Seattle locations, my wife and I are definitely planning on heading over there to check them out in the near future.

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
Brian I agree.. FantaSea is a great shop. Had a large selection of small clams when I was there in that "Infinity Edge" tank they have. (I think thats what it is called). Pretty good selection of coral frags as well. Rose City is pretty good too with a large selection and variety of corals. Kind of a run down and old facility but everything has been healthy when I have visited.

Offline Nate R

• Goby
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:52:34 PM »
Hi brian, i m up here in Yakima as well. nice to meet you here. nice tank you have there good to see another Yakima reefer here

Nate R

Offline halcyonism

• Goby
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, Nate.

Have any tips for purchasing livestock in our area?

Offline Nate R

• Goby
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
dont buy fish from petco unless you QT and/or petco fish are QT required. you prob know this but dont take this advise lightly!

yak tropical has nice fish and disease free from what i have seen. get on joans list for when new fish arrive and she will call you the day they come in. always had really good luck with there fish. + there prices are awesome!

for corals you got to get outta town or ship in. What kind of coral are you interested in keeping?

Nate R

Offline halcyonism

• Goby
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
Already have my QT up and running, but am still VERY hesitant to purchase fish from Petco.  I just don't want to battle the ich that their tanks bread.

I do keep tabs on when Joan gets fish at Yakima Tropicals, it is just unfortunate how seldom she does get new livestock in.

As for corals I am pretty much think I am going to go the mixed reef route.  I really like the look of softies and LPS, but that's not to say that I don't want a couple of SPS pieces as well.