Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 07:07:05 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Seahorses  (Read 4746 times)

Offline MrsBode

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby

Seahorses
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:30:50 pm »
I'm starting a seahorse tank, and I want someone to join in the adventure with me.  Come on, it'll be fun!!! So, Who wants to have seahorses?

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

Re: Seahorses
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:40:03 pm »
What type of Seahorses?

I love em.   Its tempting! :)
come over and see..:)

Offline jerryB

• Goby

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:56:54 pm »
I saw a very nice tall glass hex tank at Goodwill in Kennewick for 12.50. I was thinking about getting it for a seahorse tank but decided I have enough going on as it is and walked away. If you dont have a tank yet you should check it out. As you know a tall tank is better suited for the little guys.

Offline MrsBode

• Goby

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:22:38 pm »
I haven't chosen a type yet.  AT usually has erectus and kuda, and the internet makes all things possible.  I have a 29 gal. I'm cycling.  Ed, you've talked about seahorses a few times... and pipefish...  it's going to be fun!

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:27 am »
Erectus and  Reidi have the best survival rate from what I have read.  I have a computer disc on Seahorses you are welcome to borrow if I can find it.

Tank raised of course have a better chance of survival.   If breeder has already started seahorse on prepared foods  your success rate will highly improve.

Pipefish are awesome.   I had blue striped.  They are agressive compared to other seahorses.   I have also had Banded pipefish.   I liked both.   Mike at Aqua Tropics gave me a deal on buying 4 banded pipefish. 

Offline BEAU

• Goby
  • Hawaiian Slipper Lobster

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:12:17 pm »
http://www.seahorse.com/

This company is well known for the their  horses and captive breeding also having them raised on frozen is a big plus.

Offline MrsBode

• Goby

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »
I had been looking at getting them from there.  I was also looking at seahorsesource.com, or ordering through Aqua Tropics.  I haven't made up my mind, I figured I'd wait to see if anyone else wanted to start a seahorse tank, too.  I do know that I want tank bred seahorses, and I'm thinking I want either H. Erectus or H. Kuda, but I haven't decided yet.

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:11:51 am »
If it were me I would do Erectus.   It has a much better reputation for survival. 

My idea would be to set up a tank full of colorful Macro Algae.  Established a good population of Pods, shrimp.   A nice piece of Tonga Rock for Seahorses to hang on to.   So they can ambush their food.   Heater shielded, nothing in there that could sting seahorses, slow but wide flow so food will flow by seahorses.   A lighting system that can keep Macro Algae thriving.   Make every effort to keep salinity around 1.025 or close.   Make every effort to keep temps as stable as possible.  Have foods like Mysis readily available.    It just sounds too easy to me. 

I like the pairing of easy going pipefish with seahorses as labeled from Beau's link.   Dang, that sounds so Tempting! :)

Offline BEAU

• Goby

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »
http://www.seahorse.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=84&zenid=ddkr86sggl8bi13rpc9mbahpm2

This is also on the sea horse site.  I'd say this is a decent model of what i'd set my tank up at.  Ed is perfectly correct with wide spread slow flow with lots of pods and macro algae. I would also like to add that air bubbles should never enter the display tank no matter what size, that could result in a very sick sea horse.

Offline MrsBode

• Goby

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:30:23 pm »
I've been wanting to do seahorses for a few years now, and I actually set up my 55 to accomodate them.  However, I'm starting with a dedicated species tank for them.  I have done quite a bit of research.  As far as tank setup, I need to find a way to block access to my heater, decide on which macroalgae I want (low light, nutrient export vs. ornamental) and decide whether or not I want to use a protein skimmer (because of the risk of bubble issues).  I've gone through seahorse.com's lessons twice, so if anyone's interested, I have the compilation of lessons available to them.  Mostly, I'm at the waiting game, and gleaning info off of other seahorse owners.  I'd love to hear all of your experiences.

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:55 am »
Chantel,
       You can put a piece of PVC with holes around your heater or plastic screen mesh.   I used PVC.

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 08:32:38 am »
Make sure you read about each type of Seahorses demands.   Seahorses being ambush feeders demand different sizes of aquariums for a reason.  Smaller species like Zost.   usually require smaller enviroments to ambush food. 

Offline BEAU

• Goby

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 04:57:48 pm »

Offline MrsBode

• Goby

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 06:34:42 pm »
Wish I had seen that before I set up my tank.  Looks like a great deal.  Currently my tank is all brown/orange.  Can't wait to finish cycling.

Offline Ed

• Trigger

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 07:21:54 am »
I have a article on Seahorses I  will post in Members forum to share.   I need to get done with Pipefish first.  :)  Get to it when done I promise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up