Author Topic: Need help with new setup. Buildng stand  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Chance

• Goby
Need help with new setup. Buildng stand
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
Does anyone have any wood lying around to make a stand that i can buy off of them? or even trade as i am selling my 55. Im building a stand for a ten gallon acrylic. I need wood for stand and canopy. And maybe some tips on building. Thanks guys

Offline BEAU

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
  • Hawaiian Slipper Lobster
Re: Need help with new setup. Buildng stand
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »
Hey Chance, I'm in the same boat.  I've got a 44 corner hex that I want to build a stand and canopy for.  Ive got all the tools but and know how just waiting to get some wood.  If it's only a 10 I'd check CL for pedestal sink cabinet or even two one stand and flip the 2nd over and use it as a canopy. Seen some on CL in the past for dirt cheap.

Offline Chance

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »
I'l check it out, thanks. how high should a 175 watt mogul be off the surface of a ten gallon tank?

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:01:35 AM »
I would say 9 inches off water surface. 
come over and see..:)

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »
We've run a 150 about a foot off the water of a 10g with success.  However, we've also run a 175 about 9 inches off the water in a 29g with less success. A lot depends on the reflector.  The pendant we have for the 150 is good at getting the light into the water, the cheap reflector we have over the mogul on the 175 - not as good.

Ed's suggestion of 9 inches will work great, but expect a LOT of heat to be generated into the water.  You will want fans blowing into and out of the canopy if it is completley enclosed.  One way or the other should suffice if you have an open back on the canopy.  We have seen (even with the fans) increases of 3 degrees over the course of a day regularly, and more than that (worst was around 8 I think) in the summer.  You will also want to look at some sort of water addition system for your tank - the cooling coming from evaporation only tends to cause our 29g to go through a gallon a day or so.  I have a 5 gal. reservoir on top of the canopy with a float valve in the canopy to keep the water level constant in the tank.

Offline EricsNano

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »
Chance,

I know we've been missing on the RBTA, but I have all the tools necessary to build this and the know how... It's a day project, or so. Let me knwo if you want help!