Author Topic: Cant catch him!!  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Mr Alvarez

• Goby
  • New Bee
Cant catch him!!
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:24:12 PM »
Hey i need some help again. i have this blue crab that i got when i first started my tank and i cant catch him. the problem i have is that he busting everything in my tank. i place some thing where i want it and he goes and moves it. He literally does it on purpose just to tick me off. does any one have like a crab catcher or ow would i catch him.

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
Re: Cant catch him!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
I used to go crabbin' with chicken legs back in Virginia.   :P  Not sure that will help you, but you could use a food/bait trap of some sort.

drstratton

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »
Someone I know from another forum placed a glass in the tank with food in the bottom, the crab will crawl in to get the food and then he can't crawl back out. Good luck! :)

Offline Mr Alvarez

• Goby
  • New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 01:40:57 PM »
thanks a lot im going to to try the glass cup and for bait im going to use chicken legs. i hope this works this guy is a bust  >:(.

drstratton

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
You're welcome, I'm not sure what he used for bait, but I wouldn't put to much chicken in there, you don't want an ammonia spike, best of luck to you, keep us posted! :)

Offline fogish

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:18:01 PM »
You may want to try a piece of shrimp in a nylon bag instead of a chicken leg, I assume he is not a crab large enough to eat? He needs a way to climb up and drop in to the glass/jar. Put it in over night and remove it in the morning and use a new piece each night. They like stinky meat but you also need to consider ammonia.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:45:02 AM »
I agree that shrimp is better than a chicken leg...that was for catching big crabs in the wild (to take them home and eat them).  As for a way in, I'd put it against the edge of your rockwork.  That way they can climb over natural stuff until they drop into the glass.  Not as dramatic as walking the plank, but probalby has better chance of success.

Offline Mr Alvarez

• Goby
  • New Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »
Its a big crab..... Im just waiting now i thought i would tie a string to the shrimp with a toothpick holding the glass cup. so when he puled the shrimp the cup would fall on him. Kinda like the cartoons  :D :D .

Offline tropicalqualities

• Goby
    • Tropical Qualities
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:53:04 AM »
tell u what i can come look at  what you got  and build you a trap that is for the crabs size but do you want to get read of the crab our do you just want it out of the tank ether way you have my help but i am interested in the crab if you don't want it and if you do well i will help you for the fun of it LOL
When on the road to sweet Athy, Hurroo Hurroo When on the road to sweet Athy A stick in the hand, A drop in the eye A doleful damsel I heard cry , Johnny I hardly knew ya

Offline Mr Alvarez

• Goby
  • New Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »
Still cant catch him and yeah you can swing by and take a look to see if you can get a hold of him. >:(

Offline tropicalqualities

• Goby
    • Tropical Qualities
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 11:27:40 PM »
sweat this will be fun --- well maybe now it will be fun sounds like you have been getting the butt end of the deal from this crab well i just need to see how big this crab is and how much room you have in your tank and i can build you a mini version of the big traps they use for crabs i have made quit a few for the eating kind just need to build one to scale of your tank should be easy !
When on the road to sweet Athy, Hurroo Hurroo When on the road to sweet Athy A stick in the hand, A drop in the eye A doleful damsel I heard cry , Johnny I hardly knew ya

Offline Mr Alvarez

• Goby
  • New Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 10:24:20 AM »
yeah just let me know when you can swing by to look at the tank. and you can have the crab its all yours its and emerald crab. his just staring at me now >:(.