Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 24, 2017, 12:10:07 pm
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garf Grunge?  (Read 2526 times)

drstratton

Garf Grunge?
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:45:33 am »
Has anyone here heard of or used Garf Grunge?  It sounds like a cool way to add new lifeforms to your tank, and they claim it can help with different types of algae control...   Thanks! :)

http://www.garf.org/diatom.html

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

Re: Garf Grunge?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:17:12 am »
Garf Grundge,   It a way of adding bacteria to tank by means of adding live sand and smaller pieces of live rock rubble with sponge on it.    Sally Joe and ...going blank...use to travel and explain the uses of bacteria in grundge.   Sally Joe has been fairly quiet lately.  Maybe Paul Hamby can chime in?
A lot of the similliar uses of Steve Tyree...using natural methods of filtration.   Steve uses sea squirts and sponges without protien skimming. 
come over and see..:)

drstratton

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:22:40 am »
Thanks Ed, I hadn't heard of using sea squirts and sponges instead of skimming, but I am pretty new to the saltwater realm! :)  Hopefully someone else will have some more info, I am curious to know if it is something worth getting.

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:25:25 pm »
We've used it on all 3 of our tanks over the past 10 years.  It really helps get things started off well and we've had good results with all of our tanks.  I really thing the big benefit is in how quickly your tank will reach stability.  We still get diatom growth and we still run a skimmer.

drstratton

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 01:28:58 pm »
Thank you Nate, I might just order some.  I have a skimmer going in my tank, and I am getting pretty close to moving my livestock over.

Offline tropicalqualities

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
    • Tropical Qualities

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:30 pm »
Grunge is a great product i have used it in my nano along with there mud in the fuge , i have spoken with Sally Joe and Leroy they are very helpful and have lots of great tips but are a little old school they have been at it senses the 70's they ship next day USPS but senses they ship from Boise it takes 2 days just to let you know!
When on the road to sweet Athy, Hurroo Hurroo When on the road to sweet Athy A stick in the hand, A drop in the eye A doleful damsel I heard cry , Johnny I hardly knew ya
Pages: [1]   Go Up