Author Topic: New Tank idea  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Daniel

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
New Tank idea
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
I made up some plans on a new corner tank that i'm going to build in the new house. The top tank will be my frag tank and the lower will be my dt. I'm either going to have a sump under the stand or if I can tie it into the other tank that i'm going to have and just have one sump.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Re: New Tank idea
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »
Very Cool design.    You could use one side with Calerpa/macro algae with light and let the rest housing fish,or for etc.   I like it a lot!
come over and see..:)

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »
One thing to think about...if you have your frag tank and main tank tied together in the same system...something that infects one will get both.  You will have no back-up.  I'm not a big advocate of having systems tied together.  It seems easier, but it does come at a much higher risk.

Something to think about, but the look/concept is cool.

Offline Daniel

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:21:03 PM »
Very Cool design.    You could use one side with Calerpa/macro algae with light and let the rest housing fish,or for etc.   I like it a lot!

I was thinking that a first Ed, but I wanted to keep all that in my sump. Its going to depend on how much of a fish room I get in the new house (pending wife's approval :) ) I'm also looking at making another tank that will be placed inside a bar that might be tied to this tank. Thinking on what Nate said I might have to redo my second tank and have another sump for it.

If i get some time this weekend I will build a model of this tank and bring it with us to the meeting.  Thanks for the input.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
If you are going to have another existing tank that you can keep things in that isn't tied to the same system, having the two together like you show and tied into a single system should be fine.  I've just had too many issues where something starts going south in a system (i.e. AEFW's), and the only reason we didn't lose things completely was because we had a frag system with pieces from the parent colonies that we were able to save.  Our frag system is down right now, and due to that, I just recently lost my Oregon Tort that I'd grown up from a 3-polyp frag to a reasonable size.  Water got out of whack due to neglect (and us being gone all the time over the summer months).  Lots of other things stressed at the moment too, but so far not too many that have gone completley away...but I sure wish I had another system to move things into that I know are OK - before they start going south if things don't turn around.

Offline Mr Alvarez

• Goby
  • New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
i like the way it looks  8) 8). it looks like a nice peace of art. and thats cool that you know how to build aquariums also very awesome.

Offline Daniel

• Goby
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
Thanks Mr Alvarez. This was my first try at drawing one out. The good old saying: It always looks better on paper. Hope to have a model of it made up and see how it looks mocked up. If it works out I may make a smaller one for my kitchen counter for the wife, if I can find a way to light it and get some water moving around. Figured with the small footprint of it, I could just run LR and LS and a power head to move water around. But i'm still green behind the ears so I might be under thinking it.