Author Topic: 175 watt MH not firing  (Read 2623 times)

Offline BeauC

• Goby
175 watt MH not firing
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:22:59 PM »
Hi everyone, Just got the 29 gallon from the raffle set up and finding that the bulb isn't getting fully lit.  It looks like it fires but cuts out after about 15 seconds.  Is this common for old bulbs or is it something else ?

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
Re: 175 watt MH not firing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:02:21 AM »
Beau,

It could be old bulb, ballast, or even possibly contact.  If it is a mogul style bulb, try unplugging the ballast and taking the bulb out, there is a little tab at the bottom of the mogul base, bend it so it is further forward, then put the bulb back in and plug the ballast back in.  If that doesn't fix it, try leaving it even if the bulb goes out and see if it tries to fire off again after 5-15 minutes.  If it does the same thing, I'd guess the bulb.  If it comes on and stays on, it just misfired for some reason.  If it doesn't come back on within 30 min, I'd guess the ballast is going bad.  Let us know what happens and I'll see if I can loan you pieces to figure out which needs replacing.

Nate

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »
here are some options.   

Nate,
  We ordered a bulb recently.   So when bulb comes in I will cover the cost of that Beau.  Here is another option-  I found someone that has a rebuild kit for $50.    Either way I will cover it.   Nate, I have not been able to find Mystery wrasse as of yet in Sump.    So I will cover cost of both items.    I hope that sounds fair.  We can work on getting a mystery wrasse.   He may still be in the rock.   I am looking for him daily now.
come over and see..:)

Offline BeauC

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »
Hey ed I appreciate that,  I will pay you back when it comes in. I'm pretty sure it's the bulb, tested again this morning and it's doing the same thing.  Starts up, dim light appears for warm up, as it's just about to go full power it flickers and shuts off.  Hey Ed, I guess that wrasse really is a Mystery wrasse.   ;D ;D   

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 07:43:01 AM »
Yeah, that wrasse sure has got me puzzled where he went!! lol.   I will make it up to you one way or another.   I am really glad you are back!! :)

Offline BeauC

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:06:03 AM »
Thanks Ed, the bulb worked great and the color was a nice choice.  Problem fixed  ;D

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
Thanks Ed, the bulb worked great and the color was a nice choice.  Problem fixed  ;D

Hey Beau,
     Can we see some pix please?

Offline BeauC

• Goby
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »
My camera takes crappy pics but i'll try