Author Topic: Building a refugium  (Read 4683 times)

Offline leigekiller

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
Building a refugium
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
ok, Nitrates just plain suck.. so.. I have a nice lil 20 gallon long and a place to put it to set up a refugium, anyone have any thoughts on what I should fill it with and the best way to plumb it? I was thinking it might make a good topic/case study for next months meeting.

Daniel

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Re: Building a refugium
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »
Dan,
   Refugeums are a  way to remove phosphates.   I would use a power head or baster to blow off rock and then do water changes.   I would check for waste in places in your overflows, corners of tank, behind rocks, etc.   I would check to see if your skimmer is working properly/another source would be using the best Carbon available.  One pound Carbon for every 50 gallons monthly. 

People often do water changes with un filtered water usually are adding more nitrates.  A good RO/DI filter system or a additional cannister to your existing RO/DI can do wonders.
come over and see..:)

Offline leigekiller

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »
In general yes, but there are some plants and I may put a couple clams in it to help thus making it helpful with both feeding and chemical reduction.

Make sense.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »
Dan,
    If your nitrates are high, I am concerned you are going to lose clams.   I do not want you to lose any animals my friend.

Offline leigekiller

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »
already losiong animals to high nitrate thus the seriouis efforts to try and get them down, already treated chemically, looked for decaying matter, waterchanges and so on... :(

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:16:18 PM »
Dan,
     I want to convince you to stop using any additives at this time.  That could be the source of your nitrates.  I have water that is filtered if you need.  Give me a call.    I will do what I can to get you on the right track.

Ed :)

Offline leigekiller

• Goby
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »
Hey Ed, the only addative I am using is a specific notrate reducer, we tested teh water we are using for it and its nitrate zero so we are good there.

Daniel

Offline BeauC

• Goby
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »
My unexpert opinion if you don't mind,  little larger water change than usual, wash out all filter pads or socks, macro algae in sump and check levels again. OOOOORRRRR  depending on substrate,  i know i had a problem with finer crushed coral holding a lot of "muck".  When this muck is disturbed or not siphoned I had higher tested nitrate levels also.  I'm an unexpert and consider myself a beginner but every lil bit helps 

Offline leigekiller

• Goby
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 04:39:26 PM »
*nods* this is what I have done so far, changed the media in the sump filters, 2 50% water changes seperated by 2 days, the nitrate reducer into the water, cleaned and made sure that the skimmer is doing its thing happily, and left the substrate alone after the first time I cleaned the base, realising I released a ton of bad stuff when I stirred it all up :(.  I am going to do another water change tomorrow , probably another 50%.

Ed I was looking into getting a Ro/di unit but the deal I had on the reef formum fell through though the guy not responding after agreeing.
I do plan on setting on up in the garage for filtering my base water.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 07:50:19 AM »
Daniel,
     I have a RO.   Please come by and get some water from me.   It would make me feel good if you did.  I also have a RO/DI unit sitting around if you want to buy a few fittings you can borrow it for a while.    Sharing is what makes this place fun!!

Offline MrsBode

• Goby
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »
If you're looking for some macroalgae, I have some green caulerpa that's going crazy in my tank...

Andrew

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »
I am looking for a good hardy type of macro algae to put into my refugium, does anyone have a suggestion. I have twenty pounds of miracle mud in the bottom. My nitrates are good ,just looking for a place to grow copes etc.

Offline btrue

• Goby
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:38:45 AM »
hi,
We have a large refugium for our tank, not much macro algae right now, but we will give you advice, if you want to see our tank, PM me for phone #, we live in Kennewick and would be happy to meet you any evening.
Also, we are setting up a place, in our basement, this winter to raise some rotifers again!   NO, I won't let Greg put them in the living room, ha!! :D
-Sandi

Offline MrsBode

• Goby
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 08:12:52 AM »
I'm cutting back my macroalgae in about 15 minutes.  If anybody would like some, feel free to call me. (360)927-5275.

Offline leigekiller

• Goby
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
ok the refugeium is finally set up and running as part of the main system yaya !!!!

now I need to get things to put in it :)
If anyone has macroalgies they would like to part with a clump or two of, or liverock that is infested with some nice like critters please let me know
 I will be at the club meeting on friday and that might be a nice place to meet up,  Don't have anything to trade so anything would have to be a Buy exchange.

Thanks
Daniel