Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 07:19:03 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calcium Reactor  (Read 2488 times)

Offline abushr

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby

Calcium Reactor
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:17:15 am »
The Ph in my tank tends to run low, so I'm always adding a buffer to keep it in the right range.  Since I will be gone most of the summer, I'm trying to make my tank as self sufficient as possible...that way my hubby and kids are basically responsible for feeding only.
Will a calcium reactor level out my Ph problems?  I've found one (Korallin C1502) that I think will do the trick.  So am I heading in the right direction?  Or do calcium reactors deal with other issues? 

Thanks,
Angie

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef

Re: Calcium Reactor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:35:23 am »
Ca reactors will actually lower pH.  You need something more along the line of a Kalk reactor.  BUT if you don't have a method of controlling them, running either without someone that likes the tanks and is going to be responsible and check things at least once a day would be pretty risky.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:33:12 am »
I am a calcium reactor fan.   I drip the effluent into area right in front of protien skimmer intake.   I do like to test once a week.    But after system is stable with demands I think its very easy. 
come over and see..:)

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:54:38 am »
    But after system is stable with demands I think its very easy. 

There's the key...it just takes work to get it to that point.  And...it will still lower pH as a general rule.  If she's already struggling with low pH, CaRx isn't going to help that situation, don't you agree?

Offline fraggy

• Goby

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:36:22 pm »
Calcium reactors take alot of tweeking, so they are not setup and move on.  Also, depending on your tank load, you may have to add media every few months or refill the CO2 bottle especially if it is a smaller one..  And like the others said, they do lower Ph.  Some people time them to only run during the day when the Ph is natually higher.   In general, Calcium and Kalkwater reactor do require attention, so I would not count on one freeing you from the burden of checking your tank at least weekly.  When they need to be adjusted, they usually require an aquarium addict.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:16:11 pm »
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

A little read for those wanting to do a Calcium reactor. 
come over and see..:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up