Author Topic: Arrow Crab  (Read 2544 times)

BrianRN

Arrow Crab
« on: April 09, 2010, 12:25:31 AM »
I bought a cleanup crew for my tank about a month ago and they have been doing a great job until recently. I couldn't figure out why but noticed a significant decrease in the number of hermit crabs I had but figured they were under or in rock doing their thing. Well I thought that until tonight when I saw my arrow crab pull a wriggling hermit out of its shell and start to eat it. Poor hermit is still being held by the arrow and is still alive with pieces missing. The arrow is probably the funnest part of my tank atm since he stays out front and my clowns just stay in one of two spots. It has grown from having a leg circumfrence of 2 or 3 inches stretched out to what I would guess to be 5 -6 inches now. What should I do? Just get more hermits.? Do you think the arrow may be why the clowns just stay in one or two spots in the tank? I noticed it taps them with a leg when they get too close to food it wants during feeding time.
Brian

Offline jimbo

• Goby
Re: Arrow Crab
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:02:02 AM »
Crabs  for the most part are fun to watch. But most are omnivores or will eat everything that they can get their claws on. I had bought a arrow to help with bristleworms which he did until he learned how to catch gobies. Even some of the hermits that we buy for algea control will not only catch snails fo new homes but will catch fish when sleeping. I won't  tell you what to do. Crabs are good and bad :-\ jimbo

BrianRN

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 03:46:12 AM »
I think I am going to have to see if I can sell it or something. I have lost 2/3 of my crabs and 1/3 of my snails to this crab. Some may have been natural losses though. Think anyone would want it? Or maybe one of the fish stores?

Offline fogish

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:46:49 AM »
Your best bet is a fish store but you can also put it in your sump and spot feed it frozen meaty foods.