Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 07:19:43 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: red slime  (Read 2554 times)

Offline BEAU

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
  • Hawaiian Slipper Lobster

red slime
« on: December 05, 2009, 05:56:44 pm »
 ??? just starting to see some patches of red slime.  read it could be a sign my bulbs are old,  could this be the case?  the tank doesn't get direct sun light and i got my mh bulb used.  any thoughts?  thanks

Offline fogish

• Goby

Re: red slime
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 12:02:12 am »
How old is the tank? Any recent changes in/to the tank? Better lighting does encourage growth of algae that will compete for the same nutrients that cyano uses. Source water, is it RO/DI with a TDS of 0? Is your salt old? When was your last water change? Another is excess nutrients or low circulation in the areas where the cyano is most prolific. Remove cyano whenever you can and encourage the growth of algae, remove excess detritus in and around the cyano, increase water circulation and increase lighting or lighting duration. That should cover the basics.

Offline BEAU

• Goby
  • Hawaiian Slipper Lobster

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 05:55:03 pm »
Gonna do a water change and increase water flow.  any body out there with some power heads i can buy used?   

Offline jimbo

• Goby

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 06:41:11 pm »
beau in my nov./dec. coral mag. it has an article on how slime algea can grow even in a nutrient poor aquariums drop by and read

Offline reefbegood

• Goby

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:02:51 pm »
i got mine out my cleaning my sand bed and after i clean it do a big water change just hope its not the dino
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.
Pages: [1]   Go Up