Author Topic: salinity level  (Read 3248 times)

shawmck

salinity level
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I am new to this forum and have a question about my salinity. I usually keep it about 0.021-0.025, and my meter is reading 0.017.... is it possble for the meter to quit working correctly?  Does anyone have any advise on the most acurate way to test for salinity. 

Offline reefbegood

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
Re: salinity level
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:51:54 PM »
the cheap meters are not very good, and many times way off. get a refractometer
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.

Offline reefbegood

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 09:50:04 PM »
to get a better reading wash in hot water for a few minutes and then let it set in salt water for a few hours then do the test.
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.

shawmck

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:16:24 AM »
Okay, thank you, I just have the hydrometer... I tried rinsing in hot water. haven't tried the sitting in saltwater for for a couple of hours... It may just be that my salinity is low:)  I did a 10% water change and it hasn't been the same since. 

Offline fogish

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »
Put in an order with Jimbo on the upcoming bulk reef order, check out the thread on it, there is a refractometer for under $40. You won't regret getting it.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:43:55 AM »
Put in an order with Jimbo on the upcoming bulk reef order, check out the thread on it, there is a refractometer for under $40. You won't regret getting it.

This is definitely the way to go.  Refractometers can be calibrated using DI water.  Then you know you are getting the right salinity reading.  Much quicker to use as well, just a couple drops of water on the viewing area and you are ready to check.  Also, I'm assuming you mean you keep your salinity a 1.021 not 0.021 right?