Author Topic: making a new Order for Reeftopia..  (Read 7653 times)

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
making a new Order for Reeftopia..
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 08:59:18 AM »
Zoos man...nope, not like the one with Zebra.  Zoo's the polypy guys all blue and .......ok, back to my corner. :wink:
come over and see..:)

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
Ed do you think you will be making any new orders soon?
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2004, 09:01:06 PM »
Just Curious  :?:
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004, 06:25:04 AM »
We can see how many want to do one again?   You just brought up the question.   I have heard people say they want to do this again soon ?   I may order something again if someone else does?   How is everything doing in your tank from last order?

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
Possible new order
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 09:28:23 PM »
Every thing is doing good Ed that I ordered from the group order I did have a little trouble  :cry: with a shrimp & masked goby.  :evil: PUMP ate them. Well live & learn we are now focusing on Tank bottom cleaner and yes since I turned on the lights the tank is showing some algae growth, Nothing like yours yet  :D  how ever we would put in with any one else that would be interested on another order. Ed I want to also say thanks for doing this I know this takes a lot of time from you & Matthew and just the little thing's like getting the live stock to soak in your own tank until I could pick it up was a good thing thanks again..Jeff :D

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 07:11:17 AM »
Jeff,
   That was Rick Berg and Matt that did that.    Thank you Rick and Matt.  This group helps each other out quite a bit.  
Jeff, I would like to order something more from Reeftopia soon.   So if anyone does want to make a order let me know please?   Edie has been really good to us.  
Update on my tank, I have lots more clean rock.   I am really impressed on what 100 astreas and 4 lettuce nudibranches can do.    :D
Someone said I had some dead snails.  I have not thrown any away.   No one else has had their hands in my tank.   I do not see any dead snails :D .   Some of the snails were on their backs for a few days and slowly came around.   I think they are all eating machines now.  
   I am sorry to hear about your loss.   Is there someway to prevent this in the future?
  Ed

Yellotang

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2004, 06:45:48 AM »
careful acclimation and shorter bag time is the only way to try to stop the snail deaths.

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
Shrimp made it!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2004, 06:49:27 AM »
Well i guess my shrimp is ok it looks like he must have shedded his old shell 2 days after being in my tank is this common???
We would probably get some more snails from reeftopia..Jeff

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2004, 08:30:27 AM »
Well, I was thinking about doing shrimp...some anenome shrimp.  Maybe a few peppermints.   Maybe we can talk about this at Ricks on the 23rd? Jeff do you want to do this earlier?  

Ed

Offline mikeydog

• Goby
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2004, 01:40:04 PM »
well ed if your looking to order again I will go in on this one.  I think I want some snails, and some nudibranches..

The Apprentice: A shrimp will shed his shell about once a month if he is growing, so it is not uncommon for this to happen..
125 gal (setup 11/02)
150lbs sand, 110lbs liverock
1.255sg 80F
40gal DIY Sump, ASM G-4 Skimmer
Duel Chamber MSS Calcium Reactor
2x250w DE 10k MH
1x250w DE 14k MH
3x165w VHO lighting

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
Reply for Ed & Mikeydog
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 08:50:14 PM »
Ed I can wait no problem Iam sure Sherri will have a list.
Mikey: Thanks for the tip i have read that the shrimp shed but i had no idea it was as frequent thanks for the tip.
Next Question what level of calcuim PPM i should try to keep my tank at?
Ed what type of sea weed were you using i have 2  Marshal island electric hermit crabs. I have read they need some sea weed to graze on. How much were you putting into your tank...Thanks guy's for the help...Jeff

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2004, 08:51:26 AM »
Jeff,
   I was buying Nori from the Asian market places.   It is usually in the oriental section in Grocery stores.    I am not sure how much I would put on the bottom?   I have never fed crabs nori on purpose.  
Jeff I would suggest a 400ppm goal of calcium.   Try to stay below 420ppm.   Remember your calcium and alkalinity teeter totter.  
Good luck,
Ed :)

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2004, 09:25:49 AM »
I went to the oreintal store on clearwater and they had two brands one brand was roasted seaweed in a purple package and the other brand is dry sea tangle in a blue and white package. So do you use roasted or does it say dried on the package and which oriental store do you go to?

Offline mikeydog

• Goby
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2004, 09:54:36 AM »
The Apprentice: as for calcium if you are running sps in your tank you want it upwards of 450..  If you are not running sps, then 400 or less is probably ok.  Do you have a calcium reactor, or are you dosing?

On the Nori you want dried unflavored un salted.  Just plain ol Nori..  At the grocery stores they come in Green packages with about 5 sheets for $5 something.  You can pick it up at the oriental markets in Seattle for .99 for a package with about 10 sheets that are double the size.  Very good deal.  I have a ton of it if you would like a package..  Either way just make sure it is not flavored or salted..
125 gal (setup 11/02)
150lbs sand, 110lbs liverock
1.255sg 80F
40gal DIY Sump, ASM G-4 Skimmer
Duel Chamber MSS Calcium Reactor
2x250w DE 10k MH
1x250w DE 14k MH
3x165w VHO lighting

Yellotang

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2004, 12:25:59 PM »
I use all the different types of nori, color wise. My fish actual perfer the red and purple over the green.
Ideal Calcium is 400ppm - 450ppm.

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
Reply to Mikeydog & Yellow Tang.
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2004, 05:43:35 PM »
First reply to Mikeydog :Do you have a calcium reactor, or are you dosing?
No on both accounts at this point i have some Salifort additive i got at Amazon pet.  But i tested my tank with a red sea kit i know crappy brand! The kit  Maxes out at > 300 ppm  so i know i have over 300 ppm in my tank now i asked if Amazon sold Salifort kits for testing Hardness They can order it. I am waiting till the 23rd i am making a fast run to Kevins to pick up  some clown fish i will pick up a kit up there.
Next question to Mikeydog & Yellow Tang what is the best calcium reactor out there :?:  Thanks for the advice & time ..Jeff