Author Topic: Ich Disaster..  (Read 2701 times)

Offline sscherin

• Goby
Ich Disaster..
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:11:33 PM »
Repeat after me.. I will QT all my fish.. repeat 10x..

I guess I learned that hard lesson over the last few weeks.

Shortly after bringing home the Kohl tang my clown came down with what we thought was brooks..

We pulled him out.. put together a QT tub  by pulling 15 gallons from the tank and topping the tank with fresh mix. We then started treatment with Formalin for the clown in the QT tub.

Now the Bi-color blennie  and the Pseudo are looking like they got Ich..
Knowing I'd never be able to catch the blenneis, tang or Pseudo Chrommis without ripping the tank apart I chose to try a reef safe treatment. Ich Attack is all I could find so we went with it..
I figured with the UV running 24/7 and that I might make it through this..

Clown didn't make it 24 hours in QT. one down..

We kept up with the Ich Attack for 2 weeks and after the first week things were looking better.. 
We got a cleaner shrimp but nobody would go near him..
The the Pseudo relapsed.. The Bi color just vanished.. a few days later the Pseudo died.. Tang still looks ok at this point..
The next day the tag is suddenly looking really rough.. 12 hours later he's dead with no obvious signs of Ich.. All I had left now was a lawnmower blenney who is starting to fade as well..

He got sluggish enough we could finally catch him, gave him a fresh water dip.. that perked him up a bit but by morning he was gone too...

So I'm back to square one and really bummed out about the whole thing..

On the bright side (if there is one) none of the useless ich attack treatments did any harm to the coral or inverts.
Some of the zoas are have new little polyps.

We new have a massive pod population.. they are everywhere! GHA bloom is easing off.. mostly due to the pods eating the stuff. 

Baby snails.. loads of em.. the Nerites and Ceriths have been laying eggs everywhere and they are hatching..
The little snails are tiny but now have a noticeable shell.

Coraline is starting to spread.. Patches on the rocks are growing. Just a few spots on the glass and plumbing but it's starting.

sigh..

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
Re: Ich Disaster..
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:00:59 AM »
Sorry to hear that Scott.  No fun, no fun at all.  Hang in there, sounds like the tank is starting to come together, I'm sure you'll be able to get the fish re-stocked and be good to go in the near future.  We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

Offline fogish

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:45:54 AM »
That is horrible, I am sorry about the loss. Where did you get the Tang from? Since I now get to deal with it at Petland I checked out WWM for some info. I know it barely helps you now, but hopefully it will help others. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ichartmar.htm

Offline sscherin

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »
The tang came from Richland Petco..
They had the poor guy down in one of the bottom cubes with the live rock.. No room to move at all..
The rest of the fish in his tank tower looked ok..

I should really know better when it comes to Petco.

I got spoiled in Denver.. The store I bought from had a back room of QT tanks all fish went through before going on display.

We are going to be moving at the end of June..Love the house, hate the heating and water bills.  We'll keep things as is till after that's done.. For now we can just enjoy the inverts.. Maybe I'll go get a star fish..

If you know of a fish and cat friendly 3br+ home for rent cheep let me know :) Don't know where we are going yet.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:26:05 PM by sscherin »

Offline MartyK

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 09:26:17 AM »
Scott - Sorry to hear it. I had similar trouble with a fish from Petco recently. Bought a beautiful Powder Brown Tang, and he seemed to be settling in well. Then he broke out all over in ich, and was gone pretty quickly. Now I have ongoing signs of the ick in my tank (just pulled my royal gramma back out of quarantine). I haven't lost more fish to it yet, but I'm still worried...

This all happened fairly close after the shipment came from Cramer's Carribean Critters, and I know they shipped things that were just collected, so it could also be related to that.