Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 07:24:22 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ich outbreak at Petland in Pasco  (Read 9096 times)

Offline fogish

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby

Re: Ich outbreak at Petland in Pasco
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 11:18:59 pm »
You can pull all of your fish and put them in hospital tanks for a minimum of 6 weeks, let your display tank go fallow, and that will cause the Ich/Crypto to starve to death. You have to be on top of water changes and perfect water quality in the hospital tanks, good filtration and only glass, no substrate or rock. Completely empty and clean the hospital tanks every 2-4 days, after 6 weeks you should have no Ich left alive in the display tank. You only have to remove the fish, that is what the Crypto feeds on, it can remain dormant for only so long before it has to find a food source. Stop treating the tank, you will just stress the fish more. Water quality should be perfect first. Remove other factors of stress next and then you can finally try other treatments, but not a shotgun approach like you have. I do not know of anyone having any real success with the herbal and reef safe type Ich treatments.

I am sorry for your losses, it drove me mad at my stores to lose a store pet fish that seemed to know me by sight and behave differently over anyone else. Good luck.

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 06:49:56 am »
Thanks for the tips Frog fish i will try to answer each of your questions in RED

You can pull all of your fish and put them in hospital tanks for a minimum of 6 weeks, let your display tank go fallow,I cant get to all fish as I have 4-5 mated gobies with pistol shrimps if you disturb these guys it is usually terminal i know. and that will cause the Ich/Crypto to starve to death. You have to be on top of water changes and perfect water quality I have perfect water quality 0 phosphate  0 nitrates as i have free R0-DI water and I do weekly changes just to keep my water in spec for Calcium and magnesium levels . IE I don't dose my corals or have a reactor just free water my only cost is salt in the hospital tanks, good filtration and only glass, no substrate or rock. Completely empty and clean the hospital tanks every 2-4 days, after 6 weeks you should have no Ich left alive in the display tank. You only have to remove the fish, that is what the Crypto feeds on, it can remain dormant for only so long before it has to find a food source. Stop treating the tank, you will just stress the fish more.I have no way to separate this established tank so this is my recourse Water quality should be perfect first.IT is I have far more water testing means than you unless you work for some laboratory or have some one like Nalco chemicals or Hach lab equipment to seek answers from Remove other factors of stress nextWhat stress 6+ year old tank with no fish changes no other adjustments? and then you can finally try other treatments,What treatments? but not a shotgun approach like you have.I have no other idea to treat a tank that I cant break down. I do not know of anyone having any real success with the herbal and reef safe type Ich treatments.I understand thank you for this

I am sorry for your losses, it drove me mad at my stores to lose a store pet fish that seemed to know me by sight and behave differently over anyone else. Good luck.
I need it
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:52:57 am by The Apprentice »
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 07:04:42 am »
Wow Jeff! This is really sad! You have kinda been one of the "ICONS" in the club with your goregous tank! I am so sorry you are having troubles now. You will beat this I am sure of it! You are a great hobbyist who cares about his tank/livestock/critters...You'll beat it. I just hope you don't lose anymore! Good Luck.
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 08:50:40 am »
Thank you Dasha I don't see my self as a Icon but I have been very diligent about keeping it up and stable through the years My first book was The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta and it stressed and i still have my 50 gallon Quarantine tank. I just never thought to use it on snails. I hope to get it turned around thanks for the pep talk...Jeff

Wow Jeff! This is really sad! You have kinda been one of the "ICONS" in the club with your goregous tank! I am so sorry you are having troubles now. You will beat this I am sure of it! You are a great hobbyist who cares about his tank/livestock/critters...You'll beat it. I just hope you don't lose anymore! Good Luck.

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 10:11:02 am »
Supposedly heavy garlic additions to food will help with Ich from some of the things I have read.  You could try that, if nothing else, the fish sure seem to like it.  We add it to the food as a regular thing, along with Selcon to help keep the Tangs fat and healthy.

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 10:14:50 am »
Thanks Nate I am adding Garlic,Selcon,Zoe, and dosing the tank with Vitamin C as well

Supposedly heavy garlic additions to food will help with Ich from some of the things I have read.  You could try that, if nothing else, the fish sure seem to like it.  We add it to the food as a regular thing, along with Selcon to help keep the Tangs fat and healthy.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 10:49:30 am »
Ah Man!  Sorry for your Loss Jeff. :'(    Jeff, I would love to do a road trip to shops with ya and see if we can find you another one.   

come over and see..:)

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 10:27:37 pm »
Ah Man!  Sorry for your Loss Jeff. :'(    Jeff, I would love to do a road trip to shops with ya and see if we can find you another one.   

Thank you Ed someday I plan on doing that, But for now I have to get this tank healed. The Tangs are looking beter but the clowns are still in full stress. Sherri's 10" Cow fish is finally eating as well.

Offline fogish

• Goby

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 01:29:17 pm »
Alright here are some more ideas: use UV, Ozone, Garlic and Metronidazole/Flagyl soaked food. Metronidazole fed for extended periods of time can cause problems since it is an anti-biotic. Go ahead and use them all and hopefully it will cut down the population to the point that they are no longer a fatal problem. You should get about 6 months of "immunity" for your fish after all of this subsides but after that they are susceptible to an infestation again. That is basically everything I have got. Good luck and I hope you are over the hump on this.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up