Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 07:25:42 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ich outbreak at Petland in Pasco  (Read 9097 times)

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef

Ich outbreak at Petland in Pasco
« on: April 30, 2009, 04:48:20 pm »
Just heard from a member that stopped in recently - there's a number of fish that have Ich at the store, they are in with the others, so there's a good chance it will spread.  Just a heads up - if you buy livestock from them be sure to do proper QT and treatment.

Let's hope they get this under control quickly!

Offline sscherin

• Goby

Re: Ich outbreak at Petland in Pasco
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:34:59 pm »
Thanks for the heads up..

Watch out for Ich at the Richland Petco too.. Well that should be a given there though..

Offline KELYN

• Goby

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:17:50 am »
ICH WAS RESOLVED WITH MED TREATMENT AND FRESHWATER DIPS BY EMPLOYEE. AN EMPLOYEE DIDNT TAKE CARE OF THEM WHILE ANOTHER EMPLOYEE WAS OFF FOR TWO DAYS SO THE TANKS WENT DOWN HILL. THE EMPLOYEE THAT WAS OFF TOOK CARE OF THE ICH.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:36:30 am »
Ich doesn't go away easily, I'd still suggest caution.

Offline RigotoniMan

• Goby

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 12:40:27 am »
Was just at Petland in Pasco where I bought a hippo tang, notice some white spots on it and asked an employee about it, he said it wasnt ich and something that was normal. well i got it home and did a little more research on this and im fairly sure its ich now... should i return the fish or attempt to treat it?

Offline jimbo

• Goby

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 04:53:46 pm »
ick is easy to treat . hopefully you put the fish in a quaratine tank, most fish take to cleaner shrimp and it does the job med. free. ick and other parasites are a common problem which is why you should be picky about the fish you buy. you are first defense, quaratine is second defense,cleaner fish and shrimp are third and meds. are last. it does not hepl the store or the club to blame the store,we are lucky to still have stores that carry salts in our area. hope all works out O K

Offline jerryB

• Goby

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 09:56:05 pm »
I picked up a Hippo Tang from Petco that a customer gave to them for free (I got it for free too) about 4 months ago and within 2 days it had ich all over it and was acting listless. Being late in the evening when I noticed it, I didnt have meds for it and my cleaner shrimp wasnt doing his job, so I tried chopping up garlic very finely as I had read somewhere and fed the tang that. He immediately perked up and by the next afternoon he was almost completely free of ich and hasnt had it since.

Offline fogish

• Goby

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 10:29:08 pm »
Quality of specimen, food, water and quarantine. Those four will give you a healthy fish that you should have no trouble adding to your display tank. Hippo tangs are among a group of fish that are great, bad for the fish, for telling you the quality of your water. If they start showing signs of a problem something is stressing them out, the majority of the time it's water and second, I believe, would be territory issues. I hope that helps a little.

Offline Cartman

• Goby

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 11:57:45 am »
No ich there anymore i have gotten 4 of my fish there and all have been very healthy
I'm dead sexy !   75 Gallon Nano Tank

Offline tropicalqualities

• Goby
    • Tropical Qualities

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:28:08 pm »
i was reading this article and realized that alot of the complaints have been on blue tangs i do have to say that everywhere i have been i have notice all the blue hippos have had ich i have talk to several people that had just got a blue tang from different stores and the all had ich so it is to my believe i think that the wholesaler of this blue hippos is to blame and hey most all be coming from the same place i as well bought a blue hippo from aqua tropics and it had ich and all the out of town stores i have stopped in have had the same problem so be on the look out for it and be ready to treat
When on the road to sweet Athy, Hurroo Hurroo When on the road to sweet Athy A stick in the hand, A drop in the eye A doleful damsel I heard cry , Johnny I hardly knew ya

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 07:14:34 pm »
i was reading this article and realized that alot of the complaints have been on blue tangs i do have to say that everywhere i have been i have notice all the blue hippos have had ich i have talk to several people that had just got a blue tang from different stores and the all had ich so it is to my believe i think that the wholesaler of this blue hippos is to blame and hey most all be coming from the same place i as well bought a blue hippo from aqua tropics and it had ich and all the out of town stores i have stopped in have had the same problem so be on the look out for it and be ready to treat

Tropical,
    All fish can get ich.  Its up to you the hobbyist to learn how to select, transport safely, acclimate fish that is often overlooked.    I never want to blame a LFS.   If you can learn to select a healthy fish, transport it safely with as less stress as possible, match ph and temperature to tank you are putting animal in,  I bet you the farm you will have fewer losses. 

Your education in hobby is your best tool.     

Ask LFS if you can see fish eat,  If fish is eating-what is he eating, ask salinity of water, learn to select healthy fish.     Its those no see ums and not knowing that kill fish.   

When animals stress they produce amonia. 

Animals in open containers with water movement, steady temperatures usually have a better survival rate.

I can talk for hours and hours about this.   But I ask you to educate yourself and not blame Local Fish Stores.

come over and see..:)

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 08:29:32 am »
Hippo's are notorious for easily geting Ich too...some fish are more prone to it than others.  It's when you look in the tank and ALL the fish have Ich that you really want to worry.  That indicates the store isn't treating the fish correctly.

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 07:56:15 am »
Ed have you ever read about Ich being carried on snails? I haven't bought any fish for quite some time, I bought some turbos from petland arond this time & I have been trying to cleen up one of my tanks now for 2 weeks.

Tropical,
    All fish can get ich.  Its up to you the hobbyist to learn how to select, transport safely, acclimate fish that is often overlooked.    I never want to blame a LFS.   If you can learn to select a healthy fish, transport it safely with as less stress as possible, match ph and temperature to tank you are putting animal in,  I bet you the farm you will have fewer losses. 

Your education in hobby is your best tool.     

Ask LFS if you can see fish eat,  If fish is eating-what is he eating, ask salinity of water, learn to select healthy fish.     Its those no see ums and not knowing that kill fish.   

When animals stress they produce amonia. 

Animals in open containers with water movement, steady temperatures usually have a better survival rate.

I can talk for hours and hours about this.   But I ask you to educate yourself and not blame Local Fish Stores.

150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline fogish

• Goby

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 10:16:07 am »
Ich can come in on anything, during one of it's life stages it drops and rests on substrates. If Ich is in a tank you have to break the entire life cycle not just treat the visible portion when it is on the fish. It comes in on live rock, snails, sand, fish, nearly anything you get from another tank that has had Ich in it's system can bring it in to your system even if you don't see big white spots. The visible portion is only when they are feeding on the fish, the rest you don't know it's there. Quarantine of anything you bring from another system is always recommended and once Ich is in your system completely breaking the life cycle is a monumental task. It is much easier to just ensure quality water, quality food, healthy fish and again quarantine. Ich is a good sign of stress, start at water quality and then social and territorial issues.

Several fish that come to the LFS have Ich from the holding tanks at the wholesaler, that is usually where the LFS gets exposed to it and it happens frequently. Ed has good advice, just keep your fish healthy and their immune system fights it off before you even notice it was attacking them.

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:50 pm »
Well I had a tuff day lost a Powder Blue Tang That I have had for almost 6 years.
I can remember getting him with Matt Steel ( Yellow Tang) at Ocean-view aquatics From Barbie when she worked there. This Ich has been a real pain. I have tried  Kordon Ich Attack Disease Inhibitor Herbal ICH ATTACK 100% Organic.
This stuff didn't work I have switched to Ruby Reef Safe Kick-Ich is a water treatment for the control of ich. It has not affected my inverts at all. I have added a extra UV light and hope I can turn this around. I also lost my female Banggi yesterday the pistol shrimps had pulled here body into their cave. Well I guess thats enough of my Rant rest in peace old buddy...
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up