Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 09:40:28 pm
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protein Skimmer  (Read 2403 times)

Offline MartyK

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby

Protein Skimmer
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:53:06 pm »
OK - Pump went out on my homemade protein skimmer, so I'm going to buy a real one.

I was looking at a Pacific Coast Imports PS-1000 needle wheel skimmer that I found for $115. Supposed to be good to 130 gallons, so shouldn't be a problem at 55 + sump.

Anyone have experience with this skimmer? Have your own favorite?

Marty

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/

Re: Protein Skimmer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:51:39 am »
Hi Marty I haven't had good luck with Pacific Coast Imports. I bought a PCI 450 chiller years ago and it was junk. I tried to get customer service since they are in Oregon but was not able to get much help I basicly tried to fix it on my own and latter on bought diffrent chillers. Pacific Coast Imports is a real budget line so beware. Good luck with your skimmer...Jeff
I think If i was shopping for a skimmer now I would look at cone style skimmers they seem to be the newest technology out lowest elec use but $$$$.

OK - Pump went out on my homemade protein skimmer, so I'm going to buy a real one.

I was looking at a Pacific Coast Imports PS-1000 needle wheel skimmer that I found for $115. Supposed to be good to 130 gallons, so shouldn't be a problem at 55 + sump.

Anyone have experience with this skimmer? Have your own favorite?

Marty
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline MartyK

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:57:16 am »
I'm starting to lean away from the Pacific Coast skimmer. I need to buy something because the Gen-X pump (Pacific Coast) I was using went out after 2 years (maybe a reasonable life span, but not the best). I popped the cover off of the pump, and found that it had a metal plate inside that was rusting.....

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:41:30 pm »
I have seen this two Marty I don't like the Gen-X pump line = A step below rio's for sure

I'm starting to lean away from the Pacific Coast skimmer. I need to buy something because the Gen-X pump (Pacific Coast) I was using went out after 2 years (maybe a reasonable life span, but not the best). I popped the cover off of the pump, and found that it had a metal plate inside that was rusting.....
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up