Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 07:26:09 am
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silica Sand  (Read 2472 times)

Offline sscherin

• Goby

Silica Sand
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:37:53 am »
Am I the only one crazy enough to try Silica sand in their tank?

I've had my 65 up for 6 months with medium grain white silica sand from Home depot.. $4 for a 100lb bag.. So far no issues.. Even the Cerith snails love to dig around in it.

I dose Kalk (Ms Wangers) with the top off water. PH is stable.. Alk and Calcium are up where I want it.
No buffering problems, no massive diatom outbreaks.
Even my little SPS milliporia is growing under my little PC lights..

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/

Re: Silica Sand
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:25:40 pm »
One of the draw backs to Silica sand is if you have a low Ph drop due to low O2 IE lights go off or depleted calcium levels with Hi demand calcium users IE stony corals you have no buffering capacity, However If you had put aragonite sand ( Calcium based ) As the Ph drops the aragonite will In essence melt and release calcium into the water column.
If this is a Fish only tank you Would do fine. However with you stony corals do a ph check about 1 hour before your lights come on and see were its at.
Best of luck...Jeff

Am I the only one crazy enough to try Silica sand in their tank?

I've had my 65 up for 6 months with medium grain white silica sand from Home depot.. $4 for a 100lb bag.. So far no issues.. Even the Cerith snails love to dig around in it.

I dose Kalk (Ms Wangers) with the top off water. PH is stable.. Alk and Calcium are up where I want it.
No buffering problems, no massive diatom outbreaks.
Even my little SPS milliporia is growing under my little PC lights..
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up