Author Topic: WTF*&!@ is it?  (Read 3886 times)

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
WTF*&!@ is it?
« on: January 06, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »
I have found the most bizarre creature in my tank tonight.....I will try to get a pix but it is kinda greyish...with really long tenticles and a super gross long body....kinda lobsterish....kinda shrimpish.....ewwww!!!! What could it be? I surely did not put it in there!!!
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
Re: WTF*&!@ is it?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:16:51 PM »
UGH!!!! I saw it again, it is kinda grey blue black about 2-3 inches long!!!!!
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 09:44:26 AM »
I am betting a Mantis shrimp.   
come over and see..:)

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »
Ok- so the camera is dead. I am charging and will try to get a picture. I first thought pistol or mantis....looked up some pix and they are both actually quite pretty. This is not.  :o

So, if it is a Mantis....it is the ugliest one ever! And if it is a Mantis....is it bad?

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 05:01:59 AM »
Dashia can you get a picture of it?? I have quite a few pistol shrimps they tend to stay to themselvs If it is a Mantis are you missing any tank mates?

I have found the most bizarre creature in my tank tonight.....I will try to get a pix but it is kinda greyish...with really long tenticles and a super gross long body....kinda lobsterish....kinda shrimpish.....ewwww!!!! What could it be? I surely did not put it in there!!!
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
Well, I did buy 3 chromis and 2 are gone....but I bought them from Petco on sale and I don't know how great of shape they were in when I got them. I lose the usual amount of snails. My sandsifter, Tang, 2 clowns, are all ok. My corals aren't doing very good. But, I think that is because my halides are too far up from the water. So, I don't think I am missing any tank mates....except the chromis. I do not ever see this thing. I just happened to move a rock and then that night I saw this super long antenna looking thing come out of this sand and rock cave and so I watched and watched and fed and watched....they I saw it! UGH....I hear the sound of like a rock hitting the glass pretty frequently but I don't ever see any fallen rocks. The cave that has been made by whatever it is has a ton of dead snail shells all piled around it and just a small hole for the creature to come out of. I can not get a picture of it....but I will continue to try. Thanks Jeff.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »
Pistol shrimp will eat snails also.   I should say some do.  Mine does.
I am betting with antenae you have a mantis.   I would bait a pop bottle with a prawn.   I bet you catch him within a few days.   I would be careful and use tongs.   If not you will be counting your finger tips.
come over and see..:)

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »
Hi Dasha any updates? I have about 4 different species of pistols I have never seen them kill any snails to eat or attack like what Ed has seen that seems odd but their is so much to learn  about all our tank mates mine will eat from tongs try feeding some prime reef or some scallops oh they love the scallops
my smaller pistols will snap at small crabs when the crabs try to steal thier food but maily they just push the hermits out of the way..
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:12:39 AM »
Ok here is the update! When Rick and Barbie came over Saturday we decided it was time to get that thing out of my tank. I knew what rock it was in, so my friend Julie and I starting taking rock out while Rick was working on the lights. Of course it was in the biggest rock at the bottom of my tank. I took it out and we put it in the sink with HOT water in it expecting it to come out....nope....so I wrapped the rock up in a plastic bag and took it to the garbage outside! Then, yesterday curiosity got to me....I had my son take the rock out to the road and have fun with it!!! Yep, it was in there and it was still just as ugly as it was! Kinda a blueish, greyish, brown thing about 2 inches long....DEAD! So, now my tank mates can breath a sigh of relief!