Mid-Columbia Saltwater Aquarium Club

September 23, 2017, 09:27:55 pm
News: Contact Nacheetah if you are in the club and would like to host a meeting.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cardinal with babies in mouth  (Read 2134 times)

Offline nacheetah

• MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Damselfish

Cardinal with babies in mouth
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:17:53 pm »
Right about the time I thought I've seen it all our Cardinal throws us for a loop with it's cheeks full of what we think are babies.  We can see the little fins and there must be about five of them.

I've never seen anything like it but maybe you guys can shed some light on them for us.  What are the chances of survival and how can we help?  We already got rid of the agrressive fish so that might help.

That was so awesome because when I was looking at them, I thought the Cardinal was getting pretty ugly to begin with because it reminds me of a bulldog face and it's face just looked big and now I know why.

Any tips and enjoy the pics.  WHAT A FUN HOBBY!
In the works on a 120 GL.

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener

Re: Cardinal with babies in mouth
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:33:53 pm »
Very cool pictures, Carmen!

I knew that Bangais were mouth-breeders, but I've never seen it before.  They say that this is definitely a fish that you can successfully breed, though.  You'll probably need something small to feed those little mouths.  I don't know if enriched brine shrimp are required or if they're easier than that.

No, I'm not much help with this one :-[ , but thanks for sharing!
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline nacheetah

• MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Damselfish

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:04:36 pm »
Well, the babies are out and about and not easy to catch.  They've been out for a few hours and we're hoping they will hide. In the meantime, we are still trying to net them.

Here's some pics of them. 
In the works on a 120 GL.

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 02:30:34 am »
Carmen do you have fuge with allot of copods?
I have had some luck with these little guys by putting them in a fuge till they start to eat prepaired foods, They will go after the baby pods and eat them Just get some very small Gobie food to start with and they will soon take after it as it falls thru the water collume.
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Up