Author Topic: crabs?  (Read 3391 times)

Offline btrue

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
crabs?
« on: September 09, 2007, 02:39:40 PM »
What reef-safe crabs would you recommend for my 29 gallon? I'm thinking of some Sand Sifting Crabs and maybe some hermit crabs. 

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
Re: crabs?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:38:51 AM »
Red leg hermits if you decide you want hermits...much less aggressive than the blue leg.

Offline btrue

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 04:25:53 PM »
Would Red Leg Reef Hermit Crabs eat uneaten food from the sand? I know that they are reef safe and they get to be 1". How many would I need? I think that 3 should be enough. They are really cheap, so I might try them.

Anyone know of a place where I can get them locally? Shipping  is too expensive for $0.69/crab.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:27:26 PM by btrue »

Offline btrue

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 05:24:17 PM »
Do you measure hermit crabs by the length of the crab or the shell?

Offline btrue

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 05:48:20 PM »
saltwaterfish.com had 10 Jade hermit crabs for $12.99 with free shipping. It says that they get to be 3/4". I couldn't find too much information about them on the internet, but I haven't seen anything bad about them.

Here's the website:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=1914&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 05:49:51 PM by btrue »

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 07:57:17 AM »
Don't know about the Jade hermits, but the red legs will eat food from the sand and the rocks.  They are good scavengers.  Not sure on the measurement either.  But, they are somewhat limited by the size of the shells they have available to them.  If you don't have any big shells around, they stay in the smaller ones, and don't get as big.

Offline btrue

• Goby
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
Today I got my crabs and a shrimp! :D I ordered 4 Red Leg Reef Hermit Crabs For my 29 gallon and a Coral Banded Shrimp for my mom's 27 gallon hexagon from Petsolutions. When I opened the box I found 5 hermit crabs, so they gave me an extra crab.  8)

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 10:56:24 PM »
I might be a bit late on this one. 

There is a difference between the Red Leg hermits and the Scarlet Hermits.  Typically the Red legs are Mexican Red leg hermits and while they are great for clean up crew, when they get large and hungry they are likely to go after your snails, just like the blue leg hermits do. 

The most poplular hermits that are good about leaving the snail alone are the Scarlet hermits.  The easy way to identify a Scarlet is that their eyes are on yellow stalks and they are a bright red color.  Typically they are about $2 each unless you buy a lot.

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals