Author Topic: new combined site/forum  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
new combined site/forum
« on: May 11, 2007, 07:57:51 AM »
Wow, nice changes in the works guys!  Very cool.

2 little issues I have noticed though:

The log-in on the left allows you to get to unseen messages, but there's no allocation for getting straight to the forum.

The forum is a bit harder to see/use being forced into a frame within the site.  Could it be set up such that the link uses a  _top command to make it full page, or a _blank to open it in a new window?  I think it'd be much easier to deal with being able to see more of the info on the screen at once.

Again, awesome work...having some background in HTML, I know how much work goes into putting a site like this together!   ;)

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
Re: new combined site/forum
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:24:19 AM »
It took me a minute to get it figured out, too....but I did get it!!! Wahoo....must be all Barbie's puter trainin'!!!
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »
The link to the forum is on the top right of the page.  Kind of blends in, doesn't it?  I'm thinking there's room for improvement on the organization of the navigation.

The Next Meeting box used to be on the right and was moved to the top to give more space to the forum, but I'm thinking that it still pushes it down too far, so I need to rethink it's position (again).

The left navigation contains parts of the forum functionality that are hard to put anywhere else, so it's difficult for me to get more horizontal space.  The theme we're currently using for the forum is a bit on the wide side already, so that doesn't help.  Also, I'm not sure I like the black forum in the white-backed website.  Feedback on what kind of scheme to go with would be appreciated.  Since I was already changing everything on you guys I didn't really want to change Mike's theme at the same time and make the forum any harder to figure out.

Finally, there seems to be a problem with the email notices at the moment (the news message that I wrote to alert everyone to the change did not get delivered) and the photo gallery is currently down.  I expect to get the email straightened out and then start work on integrating the photo gallery, with updates to navigation and appearances coming sometime after that.

Feedback on any of these points is welcome, and please let me know of any issues you encounter that are not on this list.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:15:07 PM »
I had seen the link at the top actually.  But even that, if I click to open in new tab (Safari for Mac), it still opens the entire site, rather than just the forum in the new tab.  I was just wondering if there was a way to break the forum out, so that that was all that was in the window to allow more space to read without having to scroll as much.

Again, awesome work Paul.  Well beyond anything I'd ever have been able to come up with!   8)

Offline tyler5g

• Damselfish
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:15:54 PM »
Looks great!  I will be posting about the MCMAC link on ReefFrontiers, so we will see how that helps.
206 SPS tank, dual 400 MH, t-5 actinic, Ampmaster 3000 closed loop, Ampmaster2700 sump, custom sump/skimmer combo built by club member, various SPS, several LPS and assorted fish.

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:13:21 PM »
Nate,

The primary reason we went with the forum incorporated into the main club web site was to enable banner and advertising display for our MCMAC 07 sponsors.  Currently with just the forum it is not easy to do.  Additionally with most people just going to the forum they have been skipping the main club web site.  With this we are able to drive all visitors to the main site which incorporates the forum and provides sponsor advertising capabilities.

Soon we will have a lot of good info to put on the MCMAC page so keep checking.

Thanks
Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 01:59:44 PM »
Paul,

The forum at the old server is still responding.  We may need to put it in maintenance mode.

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 02:14:02 PM »
Nate,

The primary reason we went with the forum incorporated into the main club web site was to enable banner and advertising display for our MCMAC 07 sponsors.  Currently with just the forum it is not easy to do.  Additionally with most people just going to the forum they have been skipping the main club web site.  With this we are able to drive all visitors to the main site which incorporates the forum and provides sponsor advertising capabilities.

Soon we will have a lot of good info to put on the MCMAC page so keep checking.

Thanks
Rick

I'll deal with it, but won't like it as well.   :P

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:41:13 PM »
The forum at the old server is still responding.  We may need to put it in maintenance mode.
The old forum is already in maintenance mode and gives a link to this site.  Only admins on the old site (like yourself) can still see forums there.   I don't want Mike to take it down completely until I have the gallery content moved over, and for now the notice and link let people know what's up and hopefully will prompt them to update their links and bookmarks.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »
Yo spreckinsi duetch?    Como se llama?  Que Pasa?   Is this working? ;D
come over and see..:)