Author Topic: april Meeting  (Read 5362 times)

Offline tyler5g

• Damselfish
april Meeting
« on: March 24, 2007, 03:05:20 PM »
The April meeting will be on April 14 at Les's house.  We will be building phosban reactors as a club.  The cost will be $25/ea and I would like to get committments from those who would like to build one, so as not to stick anyone with the acrylic bill.  In addition, you will need a 200-400 gph pump to drive the reactor.  This is the equivilant of a powerhead, or little Rio, or Mag 2, something in that range.  If you could let me know who would like to build a reactor so I can get together with Les and get the parts ordered and cut so we can assemble at the meeting. The club will be supplying hot dogs and burgers, if you could bring side salads, chips, etc to go with the Bar BQWe will start the meeting a  little earlier than usual, probably around 4:00pm or so.  Any quetions, please ask.  
206 SPS tank, dual 400 MH, t-5 actinic, Ampmaster 3000 closed loop, Ampmaster2700 sump, custom sump/skimmer combo built by club member, various SPS, several LPS and assorted fish.

Offline MartyK

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
Re: april Meeting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:39:44 PM »
Hi - is 4pm still the time?  Can someone email out the address or directions?

Thanks

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:56:27 PM »
Marty,

For those who are going to build the phosban reactors, we want to start at 2 pm.  The general mtg will be at 4pm.  So actually anytime after 2pm. 

PM Les or John for directions.  I know how to get there, just don't know the names of the roads.

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline rmcconn

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:31:46 PM »
O.k., I know this is late but I just realized I don't have directions to the April meeting, which is tomorrow.  I'm a newbie to the club, so new that I haven't been to a meeting before.  I'm planning on going to the meeting if I can find out where to go.  If not I guess I'll introduce myself at the May meeting.  In the mean time I'll keep trolling the forum to get acquainted with the club.

Thanks,

Ron

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 06:32:55 AM »
O.k., I know this is late but I just realized I don't have directions to the April meeting, which is tomorrow.  I'm a newbie to the club, so new that I haven't been to a meeting before.  I'm planning on going to the meeting if I can find out where to go.  If not I guess I'll introduce myself at the May meeting.  In the mean time I'll keep trolling the forum to get acquainted with the club.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron, were will you be coming from?  I too know how to get there, just not the names of the roads.  However, if you are willing to go at 2, we could meet somewhere and you can follow me over.  Give me a call if you want to do that and haven't heard back from me on the forum.  I'll PM you my cell number.

Nate

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 06:43:44 AM »
I got called in for work today.    If I make it today, I will be late.    :-[
come over and see..:)

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 07:02:10 AM »
i have to work til noon then have to go through walla walla on the way there so i will be late

paul
Paul:75gal aga w/ 400 xm 10k, 175 xm 10k & 24" t8 actinic with fish, sps skeletons & a few shrooms. 20 gal w/fish,enemones, lps & softies

Offline Les

• Damselfish
    • http://home.att.net/~hoveracre/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 10:08:54 AM »
map
400 Gal Reef/Fish custom built tank w/90 gal sump. Dolphin Ampmaster 4000, Dolphin Ampmaster 2100, Dolphin Aquasea 5200, Dolphin Ampmaster 7500, Five 400 MH 10,000 K bulbs with 2 VHO actinic

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
Making a map to your house in a drafting program...that's just funny! :P

Offline tyler5g

• Damselfish
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 11:27:21 AM »
Only Les!
206 SPS tank, dual 400 MH, t-5 actinic, Ampmaster 3000 closed loop, Ampmaster2700 sump, custom sump/skimmer combo built by club member, various SPS, several LPS and assorted fish.

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 10:50:47 AM »
Thanks again Les for hosting the meeting. Thanks to all who helped wget the phosban reactors ready.
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline Les

• Damselfish
    • http://home.att.net/~hoveracre/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 10:57:37 AM »
You're welcome, and thank you all for an enjoyable afternoon. ;D
400 Gal Reef/Fish custom built tank w/90 gal sump. Dolphin Ampmaster 4000, Dolphin Ampmaster 2100, Dolphin Aquasea 5200, Dolphin Ampmaster 7500, Five 400 MH 10,000 K bulbs with 2 VHO actinic

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 11:43:06 AM »
Great meeting Les  8)

Where is next month?

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 11:49:07 AM »
We had a great time too.  Starting to look for media for the reactor, and thinking about how to plumb the manifold to be able to use it!  Anyone have suggestions on the best way to control flow through it with 1/4" tubing (like for the DI system)?  I know I'll have a ball valve to take it out of service for maintenance, but not sure what the best way to regulate flow is (don't think they make a gate valve that small).  Rick, the little pinch valve you showed me on your calcium reactor, would that work for this?

Offline Robert M.

• Goby
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »
Nate, there are John Guest fittings that will allow you to connect your tubing to the pvc manifold. Add a pump (you only need about 20 gph) and a John Guest ball valve at the inlet and you're in business. Catch the first gallon in a bucket to get rid of the fines. Reduce the flow so that only the top inch of your PhosBan type media looks like it is boiling and watch your phosphates drop to zero.

Since I already had a Two Little Fisheis PhosBan Reactor, I decided to convert my reactor to a denitrator. I am basically copying the design of the Korallin BioDenitrator. I am using the Midwest Aquatic Instruction Manual as a guide for setting up my unit. The nitrate removing reactor is sulphur based and does not require culture feedings. I got my sulphur media from Midwest Aquatic. I looked into the ZEOvit system that Les is using but decided to give this a try instead because of the costs and complexity of that system. I will be sure to post pictures and test results after I get it up and running.

BTW my o-ring groove was a little too deep and my unit would not seal. I was able to chuck it up in a lathe and face the top and it seals now. I also turned the outside diameter of the top and bottom to increase the coolness factor  :) and give it a more retail look. One thing that I would recommend others change is the acrylic down tube that was supplied to us. A 1/2" pvc pipe seems to work better. The pvc fits the coupler and the holes in the two acrylic separator trays nicely. To hold the upper tray you can just use a 1/2" coupler placed 1 1/2" down from the top.

Robert
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:17:15 PM by Red_Six »
58 Gallon Oceanic Reef-Ready