Author Topic: RBTA split  (Read 2261 times)

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
RBTA split
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:05:36 PM »
Apparently my RBTA split in two on Sunday.  It still had a seam on each half when I found it Sunday night, but this morning both halves looked mostly healed up.  I'm kind of unhappy about the split because I liked the larger anemone for the clowns and now I have to figure out what to do with the second one.

Here they are minutes after the lights came on, so they're still waking up and not fully inflated:

Here's a close up of the front anemone, at the same time as the picture above.  The one behind is about the same size.

This anemone(s) has never been target fed, but it probably picks up whatever frozen food it can that drifts by, aided by the two clowns.  Its tentacles have never been particularly sticky, though.  This is the same anemone as in my avatar, originally from Kyle.  I'm not sure whether it has grown any since I got it from him a little over a month ago.  The clowns are currently going back and forth between the two.  It sits ~20" below a 250W Iwasaki in a 30G nano reef, with Remora skimmer and two intake-filtered 500gph powerheads.  Temp is 78-81F, sg 1.025, water params normal for a well-established tank.  Tankmates include the two young ocellaris clowns, several chromis,  a 6" lawnmower blenny, and an army of crabs and snails.  Also various SPS frags.  No softies, but the caulerpa occasionally pops up as visible in the pictures.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
Re: RBTA split
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:59:33 AM »
Our green one was doing that about twice a year, we kept trading them in to the stores around here for frozen food.  We ended up losing ours (not that we are looking for a replacement now though) when it took off walking and got pulled into the filter intake.  It didn't like that much, when I freed it, it walked off and died.   :(

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:51:43 PM »
The one O got from Rick has doubled in size and I am starting ti think it may split soon.  I have to keep a powerhead on it to keep it bay and away from my corals.  The clown loves it though.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 06:19:04 PM »
Mine was kept at bay with the currents as well.  When it split one went around back and now I'm worried it'll reappear on top of one the corals.  I'd get in there and remove it if I had another tank right now suitable for an anemone.  I think the light is a little lower than I'd like for it in the quarantine tank.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.