Author Topic: More Stars  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Les

• Damselfish
    • http://home.att.net/~hoveracre/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
More Stars
« on: December 25, 2006, 12:22:56 PM »
Well after adding two Harliquin shrimp last week I have noticed a real outbreak with little stars. I think that now there is a preditor in the tank the stars are now showing themselves while running from the shrimps. Maybe someone can ID them for me.
400 Gal Reef/Fish custom built tank w/90 gal sump. Dolphin Ampmaster 4000, Dolphin Ampmaster 2100, Dolphin Aquasea 5200, Dolphin Ampmaster 7500, Five 400 MH 10,000 K bulbs with 2 VHO actinic

Offline dakota's dad

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Damselfish
More Stars
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 12:42:13 PM »
I beleave those are the starfish that rick was saying to watch for. he had pics and also had one at johns & angelas at the june meeting. there has also been talk on one of the other threads about them. cute little inverts - itty bitty starfish.
Paul:75gal aga w/ 400 xm 10k, 175 xm 10k & 24" t8 actinic with fish, sps skeletons & a few shrooms. 20 gal w/fish,enemones, lps & softies

Offline nacheetah

• MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Damselfish
More Stars
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 09:44:48 PM »
We've been fighting these little stars also and we pick them off as we see them.  So far we haven't noticed them doing anything to our corals so that's good.  What we have noticed was that ever since we put the lobster in our tank, our bristle worms have disappeared so we assume that the lobster is having them for lunch.  We watch the lobster and it hangs out under the rocks as if it is scouring for them.

What do you guys think?  Maybe they just don't come out knowing that there is a predator waiting for them to come out.
In the works on a 120 GL.

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
More Stars
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 03:23:38 PM »
Do you really have a lobster in your tank or are you calling a shrimp a lobster?   :shock:
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline nacheetah

• Damselfish
More Stars
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 03:50:40 PM »
Oh now you're asking too many questions.  I'm cracking up right now because I know I'm trying to learn more about our tank and it looks like a lobster so I'll call it a lobster but maybe it's a crawdad(ha!ha!) but whatever it is, it's feasting on our bristle worms.....I think that's what you call those worms.  I'll throw a picture of my notorious lobster and you can tell me if it's a shrimp.

You're too funny, Angel.  We sure miss your great sense of humor.

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
More Stars
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 04:00:09 PM »
Now, I am laughing my botty off, too!!! Thanks and I will put my money on it being a shrimp!!
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
More Stars
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 05:10:35 PM »
Quote from: "luvnsalt"
Now, I am laughing my botty off, too!!! Thanks and I will put my money on it being a shrimp!!

Hahahahahhahahahaha  :D  :D  :D  :D
It's not a shrimp its a skrimp!!!!!     Oh my what have I gotten started? :P
Probably a peppermint shrimp at that!  :lol:
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline tyler5g

• Damselfish
More Stars
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 09:07:18 PM »
Read an article that I found somewere on the net, by a guy who did research on these little guys.  They tend to eat Acros from the base up, and they are hard to see because they blend with the rock so well.  According to the article they seem to leave digi's and posiliporas alone.  They also reproduce very fast by splitting.  Supposedly, if the legs are all different lengths, the thing is still young, but when all the legs are the same length, thats is when they are ready to split into two.  In any case, they say to pull them out, even length legs or not.
206 SPS tank, dual 400 MH, t-5 actinic, Ampmaster 3000 closed loop, Ampmaster2700 sump, custom sump/skimmer combo built by club member, various SPS, several LPS and assorted fish.

Offline nacheetah

• Damselfish
More Stars
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 09:15:55 PM »
Pay up you guys!  Heck, if this isn't a lobster then we were jipped when we bought it because we were told that.  Heck of a deal, if this is a shrimp and not a lobster.  I will have a bone to pick with someone..no names at this point.  Ok, so maybe it's not like Victor the Lobster, but one of his relatives.

Nacho said sometimes I just have to learn the hard way and everyone gets to chuckle at my expense.

Can someone please tell me what kind of shrimp this is? :oops:  :shock:

By the way Victor is the Lobster on display at the Seaside, OR aquarium.

Offline nacheetah

• Damselfish
More Stars
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 09:19:49 PM »
Way to try to break it up John, but can you tell me what you think of this good looking shrimp or lobster or our bristle worm eating predator?

This is too much fun.

Offline tyler5g

• Damselfish
More Stars
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 09:21:23 PM »
That is either a really big shrimp/lobster thing or its a really small clam it is crawling across. :shock:
206 SPS tank, dual 400 MH, t-5 actinic, Ampmaster 3000 closed loop, Ampmaster2700 sump, custom sump/skimmer combo built by club member, various SPS, several LPS and assorted fish.

Offline nacheetah

• Damselfish
More Stars
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 09:29:32 PM »
I'm thinking that soon we will be trying to identify something else in our tank that might end up being a clobster.  Oh forget it, I knew participating in this hobby wasn't going to be easy.

It is a small clam and a blind lobster. :lol:

Next guess?

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
More Stars
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 10:59:20 AM »
I sit here all humbled!!! OK- it looks like a LOBSTER to me!!!!
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
Parnulirus= Common Name Spiny Lobster
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 06:54:42 PM »
Hi Nacho and Carmen Hey I have been pouring Thur my reef book since you posted this Guy The closest thing that I can find is in Invertebrates By Julian Sprung on page 178 there is a very good description of your guy anyway I am 99% sure you have a Spiny Lobster they like sandy substrate and the will build burrows into your rock work keep him feed and it won't eat your smaller fish. I have also read IF you get a sick clam this guy will be one of the first to CLEAN IT UP  :wink:
I would rotate fish & scallops for feeding do not feed it clam meat as it prefers that as a food. Good luck I think it is quite pretty and being a fellow reef member who has some weird and not the normal stuff I do hope you have good luck...Jeff    :D
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff