Author Topic: I've got Ich  (Read 10420 times)

Offline mikeydog

• Goby
I've got Ich
« on: November 17, 2003, 09:41:44 AM »
Well it looks like Dory gave me Ich.  My new little hippo tang came to me bearing evil gifts of parasites.  Anyway it has spread to my yellow tang.  So my question is.  I have read that soaking your food in garlic can help, so I have been doing this.  My fish don't seem to mind, in fact the Yellow tang actually eats the peices of garlic.  The Ick has pretty much disapeared off of him, and the Blue looks better.  I have also hooked up my UV serilizer to help.  I know ick takes a week or so to get rid of, so My question is, does the garlic actually work or will I need to do something more drastic.

The fish look pretty good right now, they arn't itching and are eating very well.  But I know Ick drops off them and then reinfects them, so it gives you the idea you have cured it..  I will continue with my current cure unless someone objects.
125 gal (setup 11/02)
150lbs sand, 110lbs liverock
1.255sg 80F
40gal DIY Sump, ASM G-4 Skimmer
Duel Chamber MSS Calcium Reactor
2x250w DE 10k MH
1x250w DE 14k MH
3x165w VHO lighting

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
I've got Ich
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 10:30:08 AM »
I think your UV should do it all.   I swear by those things.  I definitely want one again.   I am sorry to hear bout your ich.   I hope the UV gets rid of it.   Please let me know.   I also know of a product that is reef safe by Ruby called Kick Iche or Rallaye.   The bad thing is that no one around in the Tri-cities carry it.
come over and see..:)

Offline Ed

• Trigger
I've got Ich
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 01:01:14 PM »
Mike,
   I was just reminded of the something.   I need to go to the basics.   If you have a fish that has a out break.   Try a fresh water dip before medications.   Try to get the temperature the same as the water in your tank.   The change in specific gravity usually burst the parasites off the fish.   If you say your fish are doing ok.   You probably fixed the problem with your UV.  I have heard garlic is good for appetite enhancer and also twarts off ich.    I have not seen it in action.    But remember you need to run your UV all the time.   Changes in tank inmates, lights running all the time 24/7,  relocating rocks, etc create stress.   I feel guilty for your blue tang breaking out.   I know that with my UV running.   My fish loss was very low compared to with out.  Please let me know how your fish are doing?.
Ed

Offline MikeMc

• Goby
I've got Ich
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 01:20:39 PM »
Mike,  
When I make my food I put in garlic juice.  I did have an out break a long time ago and feed my fish garlic soaked food and just about over night they were fine!!!  I don't know what is garlic that helps but it sure does!!

Mike
25 gallon

Offline mikeydog

• Goby
I've got Ich
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 01:45:26 PM »
Yeah I have been dosing with garlic for about 3 days now.  Pretty heavily.  The whole downstairs reeks of it..  The uv is hooked to my return line so it should sterilize about 1/2 the water that comes from the tank at any one time.  The setup looks like crap but it's up and running.

Ed not your fault on the ich.  I pretty much expected it from a hippo, very common on those fish.

I can't really do a dip on the tangs, cause I can't catch them..

The chemical in Garlic is called Assiasin or something like that.  It is released when Garlic cloves are damaged or cut, and I guess it really irritates ich.  So we shall see if that and the uv cure it..

Thanks
125 gal (setup 11/02)
150lbs sand, 110lbs liverock
1.255sg 80F
40gal DIY Sump, ASM G-4 Skimmer
Duel Chamber MSS Calcium Reactor
2x250w DE 10k MH
1x250w DE 14k MH
3x165w VHO lighting

Offline MikeMc

• Goby
I've got Ich
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 02:02:12 PM »
sure hope it works for ya!!!
25 gallon

Offline Ed

• Trigger
I've got Ich
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 06:34:44 AM »
I want to hear more about this garlic liquid.   I am curious.  I have seen Garlic Extract in pet stores.  Can you explain more about it Mike Mc?

Offline MikeMc

• Goby
I've got Ich
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 07:33:19 AM »
I went to Albertson's and in there spices is different extracts and juices.  Thats what I got and it works great.  
Mike
25 gallon

Yellotang

I've got Ich
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 07:38:24 AM »
I read an article that states that one must use Garlic within 3-4 hours after chrushing it. If you wait, you do not get the benefit.

Garlic is still in debate in wether it works or not.

Freshwater dips can be more stressing to the fish then one expects. This in turn causes the fish to be more succomb to the parasite.

Best thing for infected fish is to keep them in the least stressful environment as possible. keep your tank warm and salinity high. allow time to pass. Feed healthy foods, like fresh and frozen foods. Lots of Nori for the tangs.

Run UV steralizer to kill off any free swimming parasite larve. If you don't, it will come back, over and over and over.

kfox

Fresh water dip
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 09:20:36 PM »
I usually swear by fresh water dips, but its ineffective against ich.

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
I've got Ich
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 09:27:15 PM »
Kfox Welcome to MCSAC!!!

I had an ich outbreak early in the set up of my 55g I used garlic powder in my food mix (before anyone suggested the garlic juice) and it worked great.  I also added vitamin C to the tank to strengthen the fish.  Both of them cleared the fish up in no time and I didn't and still don't have UV sterilizer.  HTH
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
I wil second that!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 11:17:29 PM »
Hi Kfox And welcome can you tell us about your self and what kind of tank you have or plan on having???...Jeff

Quote from: "angelscrx"
Kfox Welcome to MCSAC!!!

I had an ich outbreak early in the set up of my 55g I used garlic powder in my food mix (before anyone suggested the garlic juice) and it worked great.  I also added vitamin C to the tank to strengthen the fish.  Both of them cleared the fish up in no time and I didn't and still don't have UV sterilizer.  HTH
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

ShayD1

I've got Ich
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 09:05:07 AM »
I had an Ich outbreak from some new fish. Every morning I pressed a Garlic clove and added Nutrafin Marine Complete granuals to the Garlic pulp and fed that to my tank. WOW!! Within the first 12 hours there was a noticeable change on my fish. Today is day 5 of the Garlic treatment and I feel confident enough to stop but will keep a close eye on things. My fish are eating hartily and swiming around much more. Many thanks to Les for the diagnosis, and to Rick for the recipe.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
I've got Ich
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 10:28:21 AM »
Ich is often caused by stress.    A new fish to a new environment.   A change in living environments such as relocating rock, different alkalinity, nitrate level, amonia level,   having a animal that is chasing another animal, temperature.   If you can create a less stressful environment, by saying this I mean, make little changes or preplan and make hiding spots for animals, learn which animals are compatible in confined spaces, and try to keep your hands out of water unless hand feeding as much as possible.   You want them to be as comfortable as possible.      You can try hyposalinity or use a UV or another method to kill parasites in water.  But often the fish will pull out illness in time by himself if he is eating.  I hear that quarantining a animal before adding it to your tank is a good practice.   I highly recommend this, this would allow your animals effieciency to fight off stress caused by long transport or being in a bag to  new environment and new animals, also allowing one on one treatment if needed, preventing a new hazard to your healthy animals.
I hope this helps,
Ed :D

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
Good post Ed
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 10:35:31 PM »
How long will it take to totaly kill the Ick parasite's with extended UV treatment ???
And for what its worth I had not been using UV for concerns with my filter feeding Clams But i just learned Rick Has been using Uv with Clams for some time with no ill effects so I have hooked up my  8 watt
Angstrom 2537 Sterilizer and i started cooking :D

Quote from: "Ed"
Ich is often caused by stress.    A new fish to a new environment.   A change in living environments such as relocating rock, different alkalinity, nitrate level, amonia level,   having a animal that is chasing another animal, temperature.   If you can create a less stressful environment, by saying this I mean, make little changes or preplan and make hiding spots for animals, learn which animals are compatible in confined spaces, and try to keep your hands out of water unless hand feeding as much as possible.   You want them to be as comfortable as possible.      You can try hyposalinity or use a UV or another method to kill parasites in water.  But often the fish will pull out illness in time by himself if he is eating.  I hear that quarantining a animal before adding it to your tank is a good practice.   I highly recommend this, this would allow your animals effieciency to fight off stress caused by long transport or being in a bag to  new environment and new animals, also allowing one on one treatment if needed, preventing a new hazard to your healthy animals.
I hope this helps,
Ed :D
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff