Author Topic: My Tank Update  (Read 30839 times)

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
My Tank Update
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2006, 07:34:36 AM »
Quote from: "dakota's dad"
whats a look alike

I'm not sure exactly what kind of crab it was, but it looks very similar to an emerald when it's little.  It gets bigger than emeralds later though...we had one that was actually killing corals at one point.  We managed to catch it by putting food in a net and waiting for it to crawl in.

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2006, 03:53:17 PM »
Oh man now that sucks!  That might expplain Vicki's issue with them.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2006, 04:01:36 PM »
These were sold as emeralds by Reeftopia and I'd think they know the difference.  I managed to catch one with my home-made pop bottle trap - worked great.  I am going to try to get another one tonight after lights out.  

Would like to see what everyone thinks - crabs or no crabs in a reef tank - what is your preference?
Vicki
"I always wanted to pretend to be a marine biologist" - George Costanza

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2006, 04:05:59 PM »
I have three in my tank and they have decimated the valonia in my tank.  I love them.  Mine are actually more of a light green than the usual dark green color.  They are almost white in color.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline Rico

• Tang
My Tank Update
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2006, 11:20:01 AM »
I think the crab that Nate is referring to is a Sally Lightfoot.  I used to have these until I started losing my cleaner shrimp at night.  I got up one night and using a flashlight saw a Sally Lightfoot enjoying a nice shrimp dinner.  They are very similar in shape to the Emerald and when small are about the same size.  When grown up the body is about 1.5" with logn slender legs.  They are very fast movers in the tank.  I could not trap mine, so I lured him out of his cave with some raw shrimp on a stick, and when he was out, I skewered him with a long sharpened metal rod.  Crab on a Stick  :lol:

I would not recommend Sally Lightfoot crabs.

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2006, 12:15:14 PM »
thats good to know. i was looking at some in lewiston and thought about getting one. not now. :(
Paul:75gal aga w/ 400 xm 10k, 175 xm 10k & 24" t8 actinic with fish, sps skeletons & a few shrooms. 20 gal w/fish,enemones, lps & softies

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2006, 05:20:09 PM »
Quote from: "Rico"
I could not trap mine, so I lured him out of his cave with some raw shrimp on a stick, and when he was out, I skewered him with a long sharpened metal rod.  Crab on a Stick  :lol:
Rick

Remind me never to make you mad!!!  :shock:

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2006, 10:16:45 AM »
I know mine are the emeralds and we are keeping them (for now) as they don't seem to be causing any trouble now (just when a chromi was sick - but they had him for dinner, so they must be happy to leave the other fish alone for now).  I do see them at the base of the corals like they are picking stuff out from under them - do you think that would hurt the corals?  Maybe I was just being over-protective and Darrel keeps reminding me that it is a battleground in there for territory and I am not going to be able to rescue everyone!
Vicki

Offline Rico

• Tang
My Tank Update
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2006, 11:39:32 AM »
Vicky,

The corals will be just fine.  Enjoy your creation and don't worry so much.  The crabs will not do any notable damage to the corals.

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  I'm trying to be less of a "mom" (worrying about the "kids") and just be an observer.
Vicki

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
My Tank Update
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
Quote from: "Rico"
I think the crab that Nate is referring to is a Sally Lightfoot.  I used to have these until I started losing my cleaner shrimp at night.  I got up one night and using a flashlight saw a Sally Lightfoot enjoying a nice shrimp dinner.  They are very similar in shape to the Emerald and when small are about the same size.  When grown up the body is about 1.5" with logn slender legs.  They are very fast movers in the tank.  I could not trap mine, so I lured him out of his cave with some raw shrimp on a stick, and when he was out, I skewered him with a long sharpened metal rod.  Crab on a Stick  :lol:

I would not recommend Sally Lightfoot crabs.

Rick

Nope...have had them too.  They don't really look like Emeralds.

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2006, 06:25:12 PM »
Update time!  But don't ask me to name the corals.  They just look pretty!!

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2006, 06:26:43 PM »
More pics.

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
My Tank Update
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2006, 07:39:53 PM »
looks like you have a good start going. keep the pics coming.
Paul:75gal aga w/ 400 xm 10k, 175 xm 10k & 24" t8 actinic with fish, sps skeletons & a few shrooms. 20 gal w/fish,enemones, lps & softies

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
My Tank Update
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2006, 04:18:35 PM »
I will as Rick is in the process of mailing stuff as I type so as soon as everything gets here and is in the tank more pics will come.  

I think I have the looooooooooongest thread on the forum!