Author Topic: Essential Foods for healthy fish and invertebrates.  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Essential Foods for healthy fish and invertebrates.
« on: September 28, 2005, 09:15:08 AM »
I think we all can be thankful for the time spent with Terry Bartelme this year.   The one thing I think we need to review time and time over is proper foods for your fish.   I do not know how many times I have repeatedly watched fish die from unadequate diets.   I for one killed my Copper Banded Butterfly this year.    He would only eat pods and adiptasia.   I see more and more tangs that have been fed Brine shrimp.
The results are a tang that his fins look deteriated, his body sunken in, The fish eats like a pig wanting to survive, but usually does not.
Terry taught us this year that your fish react well to vitamins.   I also learned from Terry that fish get blockages due to eating raw vegetables.
I wish I would have learned this years ago.   Brine shrimp does not include the protein content that is needed for a tang.    A tangs usually diet is Seaweed.   So I recommend processed Nori (Seaweed wrap available in the Asian Foods area).   You also need some source of Protien
to sustain a healthy diet for your fish.
People feeding Mysis this year need to be reminded to rinse their Mysis with RO or RODI water to remove excess perservatives.   The same goes for most Frozen live foods.    
So I ask you to research your foods and use things like Selecon, but remember to refrigerate after opening.    I also urge you to use more foods with vitamins to build a healthy immune system in your fish.  
When feeding Cyclopeez to your corals remember to shut off your filter system for a hour to allow corals to feed, The same for Oceans Pearls oyster eggs.    You do not want to skim your food out that you are trying to feed your filter feeders.    
Any more suggestions to this...feel free to chime in.. :D
come over and see..:)

Offline VickiG

• Damselfish
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 01:29:03 PM »
Good info, Ed.  Thanks for posting!
Vicki
"I always wanted to pretend to be a marine biologist" - George Costanza

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 06:45:13 PM »
Thanks for the great recap of the meeting.  I think it is a great idea to keep discussing topics from the meeting so we can all keep it fresh.  

After watching what anthiny did on the fragging I have been a frag fanatic.  No fear here anymore.  I wish I could afford the frag farm and sale business he proposed with the natural sunlight.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!