Author Topic: SPS's RTN  (Read 3890 times)

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
SPS's RTN
« on: May 15, 2005, 08:32:11 PM »
Ok here is my next major set back!   Augh!!!!!

All of my parameters are stable.  Same as my 55g, temp is stable, MHs are only coming on for two hours per side (temporary I need a chiller), but my SPS's have all started bleaching (RTN).  I have fragged and the frags are bleaching.  I don't know what is causing it?  Could be shock but I don't know since I used water from the 55g to cycle the 150g.  All live rock was cured and sand was dried.

Also my CL pump is generating heat anywhere from 2-3 degrees.  I have it off for now.  Ed suggested it might be the plumbing causing undue restriction meaning heat.  I think I have it figured out so I am going to buy more plumbing and redo it tomorrow.

This is really depressing but I know it will all be fine in the end.  Any help with the RTN would be really appreciated.
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline Rico

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Tang
SPS's RTN
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 09:28:13 PM »
Angel,

It is really hard to say what is the root cause.  These are the things I would check first.

PH
Phosphates
Nitrates
Magnesium
Temp
CA
ALK

If you can, run you water through a Carbon filter.  It will help keep the water clean.

As for the RTN, is it starting at the top tips, or at the base and going up?  If it is at the top, your lighting may be the cause.  If at the bottom.... well who knows.  Are you running RowaPhos in your reactor?  If so you might try taking that out of the system.

In an attempt to save the frags,  give them a dip in tank water (1 quart) with about 10 to 15 drops of Lugols Iodine mixed into the water.  Use a turkey baster to blast the Lugols treated water onto the frags concentrating at the newest RTN area.  Leave the frags in this water for 3-5 min max, then rinse frag with water from the seaswirl in your tank and put down low but in a location that will provide fair current.

If you are still having problems and want to save the frag we can try to revive the frag in my tank.  BTW the frag I got from you a couple of weeks ago is growing well and showing nice color.

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline Les

• Damselfish
    • http://home.att.net/~hoveracre/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
SPS's RTN
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 09:28:44 PM »
How high of heat and for how long? I have seen my old tank hit 90 during the day with no signs of stress. Of course the temp did come down at night.

By the way, aren't you using mag drive pumps and not direct drive?????
That may be some of the heat issue.
400 Gal Reef/Fish custom built tank w/90 gal sump. Dolphin Ampmaster 4000, Dolphin Ampmaster 2100, Dolphin Aquasea 5200, Dolphin Ampmaster 7500, Five 400 MH 10,000 K bulbs with 2 VHO actinic

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
SPS's RTN
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 09:43:04 AM »
Les, Yes the pumps are mag drive so yes they are part if the issue.  The temp never got over 82.5 degrees for a period of more than a few hours if that.  

Rick my levels are:
PH : 8.2
Phosphates : .1 (normal reading in my tank always, even in the 55g)
Nitrates .10
Magnesium:  Don't test for this
Temp 80.5
CA 450
ALK 4.23

I thought it might have been the lights too but the RTN is at the bottom to middle.  I am thinking it could be the current blowing the tissue off as I looked at it today.
I am gladd to hear that the frag is doing well.  When I tank gets corrected myabe it will do fine in my tank.  

PS I lost my little blue crocea clam today! :cry:
150g AGA, 200lbs LR, Cinnamon Clown, 2 engineer gobies, Spotted Mandarin, coral beauty, Skunk cleaner, scarlet wrasse, Bangai Cardinals.  Corals, check out my thread!!

Offline Rico

• Tang
SPS's RTN
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:11:49 PM »
Angel,

Are you sure about the phosphate levels?  .1 is way too high!  it should be at .01

the nitrates are a bit high but if the corals were healthy to start with, they should be ok.  If they were in a weakend state, then have to deal with the nitrates, that could possibly contribute to the problem you are having.

I would not worry about the temp, the corals should be ok up to 85.  It its the rapid change in getting to that temp that would induce more stress.  If your tank got there slowly, it will be ok.

I doubt too much flow, unless you were putting them 6" from the closed loop discharge nozzels.

I would highly recommned a major water chage, i.e. a 30 gallon.  Maybe do this every other day or 3 days for 2 weeks and try to flush out any conaminents that may be in your water.

When my tank went down on me last fall, I changed out over 300 gallons of water in about 2 weeks.  Lost several corals, had to frag out many large colonies, but did save 80% of the tank.  It was very frustrating.  I believe my problem was a result of using water stored for a long time in a container that I did not know the history of.

Hope this helps
Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
SPS's RTN
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:28:04 PM »
Rick yeah sorry phosphates are .01 not .1.  My nitrates have always been at .10 no matter how many water changes I did.  Might be the test kit though.  Like I said I used nothing but the RODI water and then some water from the 55g to help speed up the cycle.  I did not have any stored water.  I have not have any spikes in ammonia or anything.

Corals are more than 6" in from the returns.

How about the plumbing for the pumps?  Do you think if I replumb it to the outside of the stand with less bends I could reduce the heat?

Thanks all for the help!

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
SPS's RTN
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 07:30:21 PM »
Oh yeah starngest thing!  I have a monti digitata in the main display that seems to be going south but the frags in the sump seem happy as get out?  The polyps are fully extended and they are under two 55w PCs.

Any ideas about that?  Will keep watching them.

Offline Rico

• Tang
SPS's RTN
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 08:41:17 PM »
Sounds like the lights may be the source of that issue.  Try puting them on the bottom in a cave or shaded area.  see how they do there.

It is hard to say on the rework of the plumbing.  I kinda doubt it, unless you have some 90's or T's installed right at the pump discharge port.  Different pumps will put different amounts of heat into a system.  My pumps will keep my tank at 78 all night long without the lights.  You could try turning off the closed loop for a day and see how much temp drop you have.   Are the pumps hot to the touch?

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline angelscrx

• Trigger
SPS's RTN
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 09:18:25 PM »
The pumps are not hot to the touch.  I have been keeping the CL pump off for now because it will take the temp up pretty quick.  PLus I had the leak on the SCWD which I think is finally fixed :D .

I just ordered a chiller so I can run the lights all at the same time.  I moved all the remaining corals to the sump before I read your post.  Will do a water change here in the next couple of days and then place all the corals on the sand bed back in the display.  Thanks for the help again.