Author Topic: What does it take to put on a show for the Herald?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
What does it take to put on a show for the Herald?
« on: November 06, 2003, 09:04:19 AM »
Is it possible that everyone could use this opportunity to show off their tanks, Kind of like a Car show?   Man I love Car shows...I am really hoping for some help with someones digital camera or cameras? What does it take to spark Interest? :shock:  :?:
come over and see..:)

Yellotang

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 01:25:14 PM »
I don't know. I do know that Rick Berg has opend up his house and tank so that they can come in and take pictures for the paper. I don't know what else we can do but something needs to really impress the paper's audiance so that it goes over big!

I am invisioning the local television news as well. Maybe a catch phrase like, "Propagating Corals in the Tri-Cities!"

Offline MikeMc

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 08:41:20 PM »
we can tell them how we trade corals.
25 gallon

Yellotang

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 09:23:20 PM »
Yes thats right sounds good.

Offline mikeydog

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 10:47:01 PM »
I don't know if you want to mention that, so much.  You may want to mention how we teach each other how to propogate corals and things like that.  If you mention that we trade corals it might not come out the way we like and the stores might see it as competition or something like that.  Does that make sense.  

"Hey join our club and save money buy NOT buying things at the local fish store"

Just my 2 cents..
125 gal (setup 11/02)
150lbs sand, 110lbs liverock
1.255sg 80F
40gal DIY Sump, ASM G-4 Skimmer
Duel Chamber MSS Calcium Reactor
2x250w DE 10k MH
1x250w DE 14k MH
3x165w VHO lighting

Yellotang

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 07:50:37 AM »
I also agree.

Yellotang

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 07:51:14 AM »
We also need to come up with a newsletter or something.

Offline MikeMc

• Goby
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2003, 08:46:55 AM »
I can see how they would take that wrong!!!
25 gallon

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 07:01:04 AM »
Well, I think if the stores wanted to improve their way of business they would want frags from us because we have things people some times want.   We have stuff that is not always carried in stores.   I think if  they some times  would offer lower prices like Mike did the one time so we do not get upset and walk out of store or get discouraged,  I also hope that stores would educate their employees so they can be trusted so a person with knowledge of subject would not walk out knowing the person is wanting to sell you a piece of equipment you feel you do not need to fix a issue that is not related to problem(just buy this, it does it all).  I also hope the stores would cater to the customer and make customer feel needed.   They are the business.   I think stores will lose business not because of us, but because of improper out put to customer.
I know as a business person that I loved to look at different angles and learn new ways to improve.  If I can benefit from someone elses mistake by learning not what to do and having it explained why I save money on fish and coral, etc, and I want to come back and learn more.   You get more flys with sugar as the saying goes...and competition is always good.  We and them can benefit by wanting to improve and sharing information and goods.  Its a win and win situation when we share. I want to go where the knowledge is shared.  That is why I can not wait for Next meeting.  Coffee, does anyone know where I can get some Coffee?

Yellotang

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 08:42:04 AM »
The stores locally suffer from defieciency because,
#1 the managers/owners don't care at all.
#2 They only care to make a fast buck on stupid stuff.
#3 they are whimps.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 08:57:57 AM »
I go to stores I like and trust.   I think what Matt is trying to say is that some stores are keyed into buying whats hot on their list or what they think they can make a profit on and not going out and getting things that are reef safe or appealing to hobbyist.   I do not think all stores are like this.   But again like I think Matt is trying to say,  they focus of making a buck and not improving or expanding?   Again, this is not all stores.