Author Topic: Powerhead Ratings  (Read 2721 times)

Sol2reef

Powerhead Ratings
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:51:50 PM »
I had a question if anybody knows... When manufacturers write recommended GPH/tank size for powerhead do they mean if one is used.  For example if i have a 100g tank but mp10's are rated for 50g tanks would 2 be enough?  Totally noob question i just get confused....

I would get a MP40 but i would like flow from 2 directions or a wave like motion from one would be good enough?

Offline reefbegood

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
Re: Powerhead Ratings
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:33:54 AM »
I run 3 koralia 5 magnum pump, on a wave maker and is silent.
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.

Offline halcyonism

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
Be careful with the MP10s as it is not just a GPH issue, but they have a maximum thickness of glass that they will function on, which is believe is 9.5mms.

Offline fraggy

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
Power ratings are only an approximation.  The shape and content of the tank can be a big factor.  If you have large items infront of the powerhead blocking flow, you will need more.

You can get some wave action with just one MP40 since the pulse bounces off the other side of the tank.  Two is better.  The MP40 is amazing.

Sol2reef

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
Thanks guys much appreciated info!  I'm just not sure I wanna fork out close to $400 on some powerheads.  Looking on CL and also RC for some used ones.  I do love Tunze though.. Still debating But has to be controllable.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
I have had good luck with Tunze.   I would ask Roger from Tunze USA on  his recommendations.   He has been spot on  for me each time.  For example, he told me to not do Tunze 6105s because of too much flow.   I like overkill.  I got over kill.  Roger is very knowledgable- well that is his business, his service is hard to beat, will usually call you and explain if you ever have a problem with quote for repair.   Last quote was less than what he charged me. 
good luck,
Ed :)
come over and see..:)