Author Topic: Sea hare anyone? I need one!  (Read 3376 times)

Offline EricsNano

• Goby
Sea hare anyone? I need one!
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
Well, looks like Kennewick Petco sold theirs and ended up getting a HUGE outbreak of flatworms... Special!

Does anyone have a seahare they want to sell or rent to me? If you do, please let me know!

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Re: Sea hare anyone? I need one!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
Eric,
    Nate may have some Lettuce nudibrachs?   He did not too long ago for sale.

come over and see..:)

Offline EricsNano

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »
Oh man, that would be great! Nate, feel free to chime in! :)

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »
Oh man, that would be great! Nate, feel free to chime in! :)

We still have a bunch.  I'll talk to Colleen and see if she wants to sell any.  Will let you know.

Offline EricsNano

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »
Eric,

Looked them up online where we bought ours.  1.5" ones are between $12.99 and $10.99 plus shipping each (depending on quantity bought).  Since we'd be saving you shipping/tax, how does $10 each sound?  We have a range of sizes too - some are huge.  So, depending on tank size, we could probably give you like 4 of them with a range of sizes, and they will likely breed in your system like they have in ours.

If you are intersted in this, let me know and we can have you come over and hand-pick what you want.  If you still have my number, feel free to give me a call.

Nate

Offline EricsNano

• Goby
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »
Nate,

CRAP! I just picked up a hare at lunch, not seeing your reply! Are the nudis pretty good with hair algae? I think I'm going to loan out my hare once he gets his belly full in my tank, but I'd probably take one of those nudis you have just for maintenance!

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »
Nate,

CRAP! I just picked up a hare at lunch, not seeing your reply! Are the nudis pretty good with hair algae? I think I'm going to loan out my hare once he gets his belly full in my tank, but I'd probably take one of those nudis you have just for maintenance!

Don't think you would want a nudi as maint. as hair algae is all they eat.  If you are constantly getting some small growth of hair algae, and have a tank big enough to support one, we'll sell you one...but if not, save your money and a life.   ;)

Offline EricsNano

• Goby
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »
Oh yeah, I get plenty of little tufts of hair algae popping up... I wonder how many would be sufficient in a 29 gallon? I can't find the source of my excess nutrients. Readings are all where they should be, but obviously it's coming from somewhere. Not my water, either, as it reads 0PPM on the TDS. The hare is eating away now, thoug, so I'll see how he does in a couple days and we can go from there?

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:13 AM »
It may be more due to detritus settling on the rock than incoming nutrients causing the problem.  Extra flow (powerheads) and/or blowing off the rocks in the problem areas may help.  Of course, manual removal of as much as possible is also always a good idea - if you do that along with the sea hare, you may no longer have any issues.  However, if you want to try the Nudi's, let me know.  We have about 4 in our poor neglected 29G (however, that tank is improving due to us having more time to work on it lately too).

Another thing I'll mention that works well for us, if you are going to be blowing the stuff off the rocks with the baster or a powerhead, get an extra maxijet and put a sponge block on the intake and let it run for a couple hours after getting everything stirred up.  You'll be amazed how much gunk that sponge can pick up for you!  Then, just use a bowl or something to take it out, so you don't have all that crud fall back into the tank as the water tries to drain out of the sponge.  Take the sponge to the sink, rinse out, and repeat as necessary.  Cheap and easy extra mechanical filtration in addition to your main filter.  :)

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »
Eric,
    We put extra stuff in through additives, foods, and bad ro/di filters.   We are learning more and more how important it is to keep skimmer water level as stable as possible with adjusted skimmer- often overlooked.   Another thing is to test your ammonia level of your RO/DI water coming out.   A ten dollar ammonia test kit does wonders.   Water treatment plants use chlorine and ammonia to treat water.   If you are not on top of your filters, it comes through RO/DI filters.  There were my two hints.  :)
come over and see..:)

Offline EricsNano

• Goby
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 12:34:11 PM »
Ed: It's not the filter- I've done a smattering of tests in different fashions, so I knwo it isn't that...

Nate: I have a very light bioload and feed about twice a week. I generally blow my rocks off, and in this tank have had very little, so I'm still at a loss. I'm wondering if something is leeching nutrients in, but everything I have is established from previous tanks! I'll let you know about the nudi. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

Offline MrsBode

• Goby
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »
I'd be interested in one.

Offline bjaramillo80

• Goby
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
if you still have hares for sale i would be very intrested in buying ome or two

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 12:31:09 PM »
we have lettuce nudi's not sea hares, but do still have enough we could sell a couple.  PM if this is what you are interested in so there's no confusion.

Thanks!