Author Topic: added a return pump , having issues  (Read 2623 times)

Offline leigekiller

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
added a return pump , having issues
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »
Hey all, I changed out my lower GPH return pump for a Genx 1160 GPH pump but I am having two issues that I hope someone has a possible fix for.
1) tiny bubbles from the pump, lots of them
2)the whirlpool effect, my sump isn't deep enough to keep the suction from the pump from creating a whirlpool to the top of the water level and sucking air in, probably causing issue #1 ;P

any thoughts?

Thanks
Daniel Hahn
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:46:42 PM by leigekiller »

Offline Kyleb100

• Goby
Re: added a return pump , having issues
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »
Do you have any pics of your sump layout?  I can almost guarantee the whirlpool effect is causing the micro bubbles.  Why can't you just add more water to your sump(while still maintaining loss of power overflow protection) to raise the level enough in order to fix the whirlpool?

Offline leigekiller

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
I dont atm but I will try and post one tomorrow, one solution that a friend came up with was adding a T junction at the bottom of the intake to allow it to pull water in from 2 different locations in the sump.

Offline Daniel

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:26:21 AM »
That may make it worse. The only thing I can think of is to raise the water lvl in your return section of your sump.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »
Hello Dan,
      Here are two suggestions.

One,  use of a gate valve to adjust flow.

Two, Use 45 degree elbow at inlet possibly or a T pipe with two 45 degree elbows facing downward.   You can drill a small in hole in the elbows to release trapped air at highest part of elbows.

I have always been taught that you need 3-5 times turn over in your sump/return flow.   Here is one reason why.   You need contact time for your skimmer to work properly.   

for example, if you have a 100 gallon tank.   You need 300 - 500 gallon return pump. 

come over and see..:)

Offline leigekiller

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
I will try out some of these and let you guys know what changes effect things :)

Ed, as a side note what I have been reading on the turnover is considerably higher than what you stated here, 10x + for an active tank, with some going very much higher than that.

maybe we should get some research and get a thread going on it see what we can do for institutional club knowledge.

Daniel
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:14:59 PM by leigekiller »

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »
not sure what you are saying in your idea of  Turnover.  If you have one sump the above ratio is accurate.    If you are splitting drain line so you  can run a refugeum or added tank Then devide by two.  Do you mean the flow inside the tank?   That is totally different.    You want contact time for your skimmer to work properly.    I hope this helps.
come over and see..:)

Offline leigekiller

• Goby
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
yes I was speaking whole tank my misunderstandiong, I had not seen any articles on the sump area turnover itself.