Author Topic: Popeye????????  (Read 2551 times)

Offline tropicalqualities

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
    • Tropical Qualities
Popeye????????
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:40:15 AM »
so this is the first time i have run in to popeye in saltwater fish , i have a costumer that has a 4 year old clarky clown that came down with popeye i have talked to two different sources that said two different things to say about it one said that it can just flare up on its own and the other told me that only stress can cause it to flare up and with perfect water peramiture that it could be old age causing it .-----but both recommend me to us Maracyn one told me the fish was most likely a lose and the other told me it will cure it 100% so i thought i could share this journey with you on how the recovery of the fish is and you can add any info that you know from experience as i start this 5 day treatment
When on the road to sweet Athy, Hurroo Hurroo When on the road to sweet Athy A stick in the hand, A drop in the eye A doleful damsel I heard cry , Johnny I hardly knew ya

• Goby
    • Tropical Qualities
Re: Popeye????????
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:43:06 AM »
P.S both told me it was not contagies
When on the road to sweet Athy, Hurroo Hurroo When on the road to sweet Athy A stick in the hand, A drop in the eye A doleful damsel I heard cry , Johnny I hardly knew ya

• Goby
    • Tropical Qualities
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 12:58:09 AM »
found this online
Probable Causes
Eye Trauma - Trauma to the eye is usually the reason a fish has this condition when only one eye is affected. Eye trauma can be attributed to a scratch, scrape of bruise to the eye from encounters such as fighting with other fish, net abrasion, or coming into contact with a stationary object or organism in the aquarium, and may be bacterial or fungal in nature as well. In most cases where popeye occurs from eye trauma, the unsightly looking eye does not seem to affect the fish's overall good health. The fish appears to be healthy, its appetite has not diminished, and more than likely all tank readings will be normal.

Sound like pink eye for use and yes this fish only has one eye infected.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:48:13 AM »
I have seen it due to  poor water quality.  You stated above bacterial.   Getting water quality as good as you can and treating should cure problem.
Wishing you best in curing him.  :)
come over and see..:)

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
we get it in chromis sometimes - typically due to them fighting and one of them being beat up or running into a rock while fleeing.  Usually corrects itself in a short period of time.

drstratton

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »
I can't believe it, I was feeding my fish this morning and one of my clown fish has the same problem.  Here are a couple of links a friend shared with me.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm#MarineVelvet

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/fish

Offline Kyleb100

• Goby
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 01:06:25 AM »
I think my Naso I recently purchased has come down with this.. but it could also be Ich since a cloudy and enlarged eye is a symptom.  He looked healthy as can be at the pet store and then 2 days after being home this came up.  I checked all of my water parameters multiple times and they are in check(ammonia 0, ph 8.2, nitrates 0)..  Since I noticed it I have been feeding generously and will be performing additional water changes on top of my normal bi-weekly one.  Can I soak my Nori in plain old minced garlic from the grocery store?  I plan on doing a  25% WC every 3 days for the next couple weeks.  All of the other fish seem healthy at the moment.  He still has a good appetite but isn't as active as he was initially.  My Yellow Eye Kole that I bought the same day is doing fantastic.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:15:37 AM by Kyleb100 »